Cisco 3620 or 3640 for CCNA.

Hi,

My Lab currently only composes of two 2503 Routers and i want to expand it with a Router that has Slots and Flash so i'm looking at a 3600 Series, at the moment i found a good deal on a Cisco 3620 with NM-1FE, fully RAM and

20MB PCMCIA Flash card, would this be ok for a the CCNA or am i better going for the 3640, i alreaddy ahve a NM-4T purchased.

Thanks

Reply to
Neil Ryan
Loading thread data ...

The main difference is only the # of slots and not much else.

If you think you'd ever have more interfaces in the router, you'd want the bigger one. It might be nice to have 2-3 ethers in one router to test out on the next level past this.

FWIW: I think 3640's are fairly cheap on eBay now? $300 vs. the $100 or so the 3620's are going for? (averaging out some prices).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

In article , snipped-for-privacy@geeks.org (Doug McIntyre) writes: | "Neil Ryan" writes: | >My Lab currently only composes of two 2503 Routers and i want to expand it | >with a Router that has Slots and Flash so i'm looking at a 3600 Series, at | >the moment i found a good deal on a Cisco 3620 with NM-1FE, fully RAM and | >20MB PCMCIA Flash card, would this be ok for a the CCNA or am i better going | >for the 3640, i alreaddy ahve a NM-4T purchased. | | The main difference is only the # of slots and not much else.

The 3640 supports at least one major IOS revision beyond the 3620, though, doesn't it? Plus I think the highest IOS Enterprise image on the 3620 is 12.2. (12.3 would be IP+mumble.) That might be significant for a lab.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Ah, looks that way. I haven't had to touch a 3620 in a few years, was going on my last experience with them.

The 3640 looks to be able to run latest IOS.

The 3620 looks to stop at 12.3 (which has 12.3T and 12.4 after that not supported).

So, the low price difference seems to point to the 3640 as being better over-all supporting more newer features.

The 3620 does have a lower max DRAM count, so it always didn't support quite the full-load the 3640, but in real life, especailly at the CCNA/CCNP you aren't going to be doing anything that would matter that requires the DRAM being maxed out. Until Cisco started going hog-wild of putting large applications into every IOS rev, the DRAM count didn't really matter all that much on these platforms, they usually had plenty.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

This is your CCNA, not your CCDP or CCIE. Get the more affordable out of the two.

What is the difference in operation of a 3620 with 1 card versus a 3640 or

3660 with the same card? None

What is the difference in the IOS between a 3620 / 3640 / 3660? None

How many slots do you need in a home lab? Only enough for what you have, no more. Remember that YOU are funding it.

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.