T1 issues, setting up paging/email system?

Hi,

My company has a single T1. This comes in to an Adtran and this is connected to an 1841 router. The problem I am having is that a couple of times, our T has gone down or had intermittent signal loss, and I have not been notified of it until one of my early employees gets to the office and cannot access the internet.

Is there a way in the 1841 to set up some kind of keep alive system that will email or page me if there is any downtime? I have written a perl script to test various sites but I would like something that was constant (the perl script will run as a cron job every x minutes to test various external sites that i have to watch).

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
KDawg44
Loading thread data ...

You can have it SNMP trap on interface down. You could probably do email with something within the EEM, but I haven't seen it done before to give you something to copy.

Typically people setup some sort of monitoring system to monitor the line. For the cheaper-end/free of software, I guess the windows thing I'd recommend has gone up in price quite a bit. But lots of people like 'Whats Up Gold'. There's lots of other network management packages too.

On Unix, the standard seems to be Nagios. That works very well.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I run a Linux server so I will look into Nagios. Thanks for the help. We also have a couple of PRIs for the phone system. Can this monitor that as well?

Thanks.

Reply to
KDawg44

As long as something is monitorable somehow, it should be possible. The standard way would be SNMP support, you'd have to figure out if your phone system supports SNMP out for T1 status. Or if there's a logfile somewhere, you could probably script something for Nagios to capture and complain based on logfile entries.

Ultimately, depending on how important it is, you may setup something ahead of the phone system for the T1s that is SNMP monitorable so you can page out on problems. (ie. an Adtran box of somekind that supports what you need to do).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

The Cisco router will not inform you in the event of a link failure.

A suggestion is the free trial of Servers Alive for Windows. When used without registering it will allow 10 devices on your network to be tracked and will not stop working after a certian number of days for not registering. Notification methods include e-mail and text paging and the notification schedule allows multiple points of notification depending on time of day and week.

formatting link

Other popular products include Solarwinds Orion and What'sUp Gold, among many others.

Reply to
Scott Perry

Hi,

We use a combination of in-house items. Basically it pings 5 outside IPs. If there is substantial packet loss or substantial number of the outside addresses don't respond, we have KERMIT pick a modem up and dial the on-call pager. (We have multiple lines, so it also SMS's and emails the phone and on-call list)

Tuc

Reply to
Tuc

~ You can have it SNMP trap on interface down. You could probably do ~ email with something within the EEM, but I haven't seen it done before ~ to give you something to copy.

I haven't tried this myself either, but this looks like it could be promising:

"The example script we shall explore is one that monitors the system for an interface down, and upon identifying this situation, will run a TDR diagnostics command on that interface, capture the show interface output, and send an e-mail to the administrator."

formatting link
Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

We run Nagios in my office. It works pretty well but it can take quite a bit of time to get set up for the first time. You can do a lot of different things with it like use environmental sensors and all kinds of stuff. Ours isn't set up to email though, but I am pretty sure this can be done.

Reply to
Steven B

e-mail is a snap in nagios, in the contacts.cfg (or group ) files, just another entry (e-mail) with the e-mail address for that contact or group if using groups.

I ma about to try and install frutiy, the GUI and database configuration add on to use instead of manually editing files, anyone done that yet ? have nay other GUI frontends besides fruity ?

Thanks, MC

Reply to
MC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.