switch not posting

Hi I have an old 3512XL switch, when powered on the system light goes amber, all the ports go green except for port 1 which stays amber and I only get one glyph character outputted to the console session when it powers on.

Is there a way to do a hardware reset of this switch or is it completely coastered? I know its old but I want to use it for some lab stuff if I can get it working.

Flamer

Reply to
die.spam
Loading thread data ...

Turning the switch off and on is a hardware reset. Try booting it up in ROMMON mode. I think on this particular switch, if you hold the front push button in (it's on left) while powering it on, it will boot into ROMMON.

Reply to
Thrill5

Hi I have tried that, I should've stated it sorry, but yes with the button depressed I still get the same thing when booting.

is there no way to clear the onboard memory before powering it up?

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Its failing on some very low-level basic power-on-self-check with bad hardware, those things will even keep working when the PHY's blow after a lightning strike.

The switches do their best to go on, but say, if it doesn't have working DRAM, its not going to go anywhere, not much you can do short of start swapping out DRAM chips out on the board to hunt down its hardware major problem.

formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I had a lot of trouble trying to pry them off the board, think I will just chuck this one in the dumpster as it doesnt show any sign of life.

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.