Subinterfaces on a 3560

I am trying to create subinterfaces on some of the ports to allow multiple VLANs on each port. I get an error everytime I try to enter a subinterface in the configure CLI. On other Cisco switches I have, the standard command is: config t int f0/1.x where x is the subinterface.

Can anyone explain why this may not be working?

My end result is to have multiple VLANs on several ports with VLAN tagging.

Any help would be appreciated.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Arsenault
Loading thread data ...

You don't create sub-interfaces, you create VLAN interfaces. i.e.

interface VLAN 100 ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

Reply to
Thrill5

The configuration model is different on the L3 switch hardware. 3560, 3750, 4500, 6500.

YOu configure the port as a trunk and then confiuure SVIs for each vlan.

conf t

vl 1 vl 2 exit int fa 0/1 switchport sw mode trunk

int vl 1 ip address xxxxx int vl 2 ip address y.y.y.y

done ish.

A few no shuts here and there

Reply to
Bod43

Doesn't a trunk have membership to all VLANs? In my case, for example, I may want fa 0/1 to be part of VLAN 2 and 3, fa 0/2 to be part of VLAN 2 and 4, fa 0/3 to be part of vlan 3 only, etc. By making all ports a trunk, I think they belong to all defined VLANs.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Arsenault

How about something like this.

interface fast0/1 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 2-3 switchport mode trunk ! interface fast0/2 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,4 switchport mode trunk ! interface fast0/3 switchport access vlan 3 switchport mode access

etc.

Not much point in trunking when only one VLAN is needed.

Reply to
Seppo Mannisto

This worked great. Thank you very much for you input!!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Arsenault

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.