Configuring vlans on the 470 switches

Hello all...any help would be greatly appricated.

I have a stack of 4 470, 48 port switches setup as one big unit. I have given it an ip address and am able to access the web interface through the network.

I also have a core, that I am plugged into from this switch, this core has all of our vlans on it.

I know with the 480 switches you can assign vlans up to the port level, but lets say I want the first switch to be one vlan, second to be another vlan, third to be another vlan, etc....

I see where you select the ports and assign a vlan to them but shouldnt the vlans be there since I am plugged into the core? What I did was in the gui interface assighned switch 3 in the stack to my

192.168.1.x vlan, but if I plug something in there, I get the address that the switch is assigned, in that range, so the switch has 172.16.17.10 and I get an address of 172.16.17.25 I dont get the vlan of 192 I assigned.

Anyone know how I can make these switches actually see all the vlans that my core has? I've created new vlans in the gui...

Reply to
Ron
Loading thread data ...

no.. I don't fully know what your trying to achieve, if you want to have vlans spanning multiple switches you need to enable dot1q trunking between the switches, on the nortel you do this: 'vlan ports

26 tagging enable filter-untagged-frame disable priority 0' which sets port 26 to trunk vlans, you still need to add the vlans though:

vlan create 101 name "101" type port vlan create 102 name "102" type port

then assign ports to the vlan:

vlan members 101 1-26 (which sticks ports 1-26 in vlan 101)

don't forget to configure your routing correctly or your hosts on vlans wont get out of the vlan.

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

For example, there are 3 switches in a stack.

Switch 1 = S1 = VLAN 10 = Management VLAN Switch 2 = S2 = VLAN 20 Switch 3 = S3 = VLAN 30

port 1/48 connects to core switch.

1. Create VLAN 10, 20, and 30 first and assign port members into VLAN. 2. Setup VLAN 10 as the management VLAN so you can use IP address of VLAN 10 (172.16.17.x ) to access this stack 3. Change port 1/48 as a trunk port and assign it into every VLAN's. 4. Change the port on core switch connected to 470 as a trunk port ( 802.1q) and enable DHCP relay on the interface.

I guess this is what you want.

Reply to
Dophi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.