1721 router with 4esw card not routing

I am trying to use this router to segment off a subnet with my printers on it. I've created a vlan 2 and assigned it to port 4 on the wic card. I can't ping through the router either way, and i have no connectivity. Anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong? all i'm trying to do is connect the 192.168 and 172.16 networks. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1120 bytes

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname printer_router

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

enable password

!

no aaa new-model

!

resource policy

!

mmi polling-interval 60

no mmi auto-configure

no mmi pvc

mmi snmp-timeout 180

ip subnet-zero

ip cef

! !

no ip dhcp use vrf connected

! ! ! ! ! !

interface FastEthernet0

ip address 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet1

!

interface FastEthernet2

!

interface FastEthernet3

!

interface FastEthernet4

switchport access vlan 2

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

!

interface Vlan2

ip address 172.16.x.x 255.255.255.0

!

router eigrp 1

network 192.168.a.0

network 192.168.b.0

network 192.168.c.0

network 192.168.d.0

network 171.16.a.0

no auto-summary

no eigrp log-neighbor-changes

!

no ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.x.x

!

no ip http server

! !

control-plane

! !

line con 0

password

line aux 0

password

modem InOut

transport input all

flowcontrol hardware

line vty 0 4

password

login

Reply to
Craig
Loading thread data ...

You configured it wrong way. You should configure "encapsulation dot1q" on the physical interface, and then create subinterfaces (for example, fa4.2), and then configure VLAN and IP address on that subinterface.

Another question, if you have 5 Ethernet interfaces, why don't you just connect each VLAN to it's own physical interface, and configure IP address on the physical interface?

Good luck,

Mike

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to connect vlan 2 to the f4 interface. what did i do wrong? the interface itself is L2, so i couldn't just put an address on the f4 interface. if i put the vlan and ip on a subinterface, how do i bind it to one of the wic switch ports?

Thanks

headsetadapter.com wrote:

Reply to
Craig

Ok. If you configure it as L2 port, you should configure it with "switchport mode access", then "switchport access vlan 2" commands. Also you should have your VLANs defined in VLAN database. Check the following document for references:

formatting link
Good luck,

Mike

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

formatting link

Reply to
Craig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.