IP addressing on an Ethernet subinterface

Background:

We use an 802.11b link to exchange traffic with a (somewhat) remote location. We do not manage the equipment on their end. On our end, F0/1 on a 2621 is connected to a Cisco 1200; in other words, the radio has a dedicated FE port on the router.

We route several separate 192.168 address blocks to them over this connection. F0/1 on the 2621 has a secondary address in each of the subnets. At the other end, each of the address blocks goes to a different department.

Problem:

We need to track bandwidth consumption by subnet (i.e. by department) and make it easy for non-tech people to examine. Our initial thought was to use something like MRTG (free, works well) and point it to MIB info. No problem... we'll just create a subinterface on F0/1 for each subnet instead of using the present secondary address scheme. This will yield a separate IDB for each subinterface, each with its own MIB traffic counters, and MRTG can then be pointed at each subinterface to give users a nice graph to show traffic for each subnet/department.

Alas, this led directly to the IOS requirement that subinterfaces be used as part of a VLAN. We're not running VLAN's, and since we don't control what the other end buys nor how they configure it, we cannot "just set them up."

So... we have a single FE interface on a 2621. It runs directly into a Aironet 1200, which links to a client on the other end. We route multiple subnets over this link, and we need to conveniently track bandwidth consumption by subnet. A classic job for MRTG, except that we can't figure out how to create virtual interfaces for each subnet that MRTG can then access via SNMP.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
WAState
Loading thread data ...

Check out if the IOS version on your 2621 supports NetFlow accounting.

Probably requires that CEF be enabled

Reply to
merv.hrabi

Yes, the router is running 12.0(7)XK1 and does support NetFlow. I've enabled that on one interface to get familiar with it. However, its output (sho ip cache flow) does not yield bytes per packet data. It shows the distribution of packet sizes (for all src and dest addresses taken in aggregate) and shows packet count per flow, but there's no way to accurately get from that data to "bandwidth used by IP address w.x.y.z".

Suggestions?

Reply to
WAState

try sh ip cache flow verbose - this should show avg bytes info

Reply to
Merv

Yes, but as I said in my previous response that gives me (number of packets) and (average packet size). I can multiply the two values, but the result is not precise. I suppose I can live with that if that's as good as it gets, but the router has the detailed data so why not report it?

Also: Do you know of a shareware NetFlow analyzer that runs on Windows?

Thanks!

Reply to
WAState

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.