ethernet subinterfaces on small routers

Hi.

I have a Cisco 837 router and IOS 12.3(2)XE4.

I would like to have Ethernet subinterfaces but I don't know if it's possible.

I try to create a new subinterface but the IOS answers me with this message:

Router(config)#int e0 Router(config-if)#int e0.1 Router(config-subif)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

% Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q, or ISL vLAN.

Router(config-subif)#

and the suinterface remains without the ip address.

Does anyone know if it's possible to create Ethernet subinterfaces on small routers like the Cisco 837?

Thanks.

Reply to
M.G.
Loading thread data ...

What behaviour are you hoping to see with a subinterface that is not part of a VLAN ?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

It is telling you that you have to define the vlan:

THEN Router(config-if)#encapsulation dot1Q 1

where dot1Q is the encapsulation type and '1' is the vlan number. Also put the keyword "native" at the end of the command if this is the native vlan for the trunk. Then you should be able to put the IP address. Repeat for each vlan you are working on.

-k

M.G. wrote:

Reply to
Kevin Widner

Hi

Thanks.

I wanted to define two ip addresses for the ethernet in order to create a DMZ.

But I guess that I can't. I don't have a switch with vlans, just a simple unmanaged 3Com.

I don't remember very much about vlans, but is it encapsulaton dot1q compatible with a switch like an unmanaged one?

Thanks,

M.G.

"Kevin Widner" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
M.G.

You can use ip address secondary to give an -additional- IP to an interface, but it will NOT be a DMZ: there would be at most weak security between the two subnets.

dot1q usually adds 4 bytes to the frame; if the frame was already maximum length then your switch might discard it (but some switches would allow these "baby giant" frames.) If you can get the frame length through the switch (even if by reducing the MTU) then the dot1q encapsulation will not interfere with the normal operation of your unmanaged switch.

I don't recall which version it first came out in, but somewhere in 12.3-something, a facility was added to the 837 to allow the fourth port of the built-in 4-port switch to be a true DMZ interface. (Note, though, that the DMZ security value would be lost if you were to connect all the ports together to your unmanaged switch.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.