reloading via snmp - 800 series

hi all

is there a way to reload a cisco isdn router series 800 via snmpset ( currently i have an expect script, which does a telnet, and so on )

i found some documents on the web, but the given mibs are not available in my cisco.

best regards hans

Reply to
hans m42
Loading thread data ...

I don't think Cisco has extended their mibs to support this. ... too risky to enable support for this even if they did! What the "given mibs" that are not supported on the Cisco 800?

Reply to
karateD

In article , karateD wrote: [reloading via snmp]

:I don't think Cisco has extended their mibs to support this. ... too :risky to enable support for this even if they did!

:What the "given mibs" that are not supported on the Cisco 800?

setting .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.local.lts.tsMsgSend.0 (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.9.0) to value 2 after having configured snmp-server system-shutdown

It's the "OLD-CISCO-TS-MIB", available in the Advanced Security K9 images of the 85x and 87x, and some of the other "advanced" images on the 87x.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hey Walter, thanks for the info.

2 questions: 1) Have you ever used this to reboot stuff? (We avoid snmpsets + reboots, etc. like the plague ...) 2) Do you think it will work on the 800 series? Cisco lists the following as supported mibs and I didn't see the OLD-CISCO-TS-MIB.

ADSL-LINE-MIB ADSL-DMT-LINE-MIB ATM-FORUM-MIB ATM-FORUM-ADDR-REG ATM-MIB CISCO-AAL5-MIB CISCO-ADSL-DMT-LINE-MIB CISCO-ATM-EXT-MIB CISCO-BULK-FILE-MIB CISCO-CAR-MIB CISCO-DIAL-CONTROL-MIB CISCO-FLASH-MIB CISCO-IETF-ATM2-PVCTRAP-MIB CISCO-IMAGE-MIB CISCO-IP-STAT-MIB CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB CISCO-PING-MIB CISCO-QUEUE-MIB CISCO-RAS-MIB CISCO-SNAPSHOT-MIB CISCO-STACKMAKER-MIB CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB CISCO-TCP-MIB CISCO-VOICE-ANALOG-IF-MIB CISCO-VOICE-COMMON-DIAL-CONTROL-MIB CISCO-VOICE-DIAL-CONTROL-MIB CISCO-VOICE-IF-MIB DIAL-CONTROL-MIB ENTITY-MIB IF-MIB IGMP-MIB INT-SERV-GUARANTEED-MIB INT-SERV-MIB IPMROUTE-MIB NOVELL-IPX-MIB NOVELL-RIPSAP-MIB OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB OLD-CISCO-CPU-MIB OLD-CISCO-INTERFACE-MIB OLD-CISCO-IP-MIB OLD-CISCO-MEMORY-MIB OLD-CISCO-NOVELL-MIB OLD-CISCO-SYSTEM-MIB OLD-CISCO-TCP-MIB PIM-MIB RFC1398-MIB (ETHERMIB) RFC1213-MIB RSVP-MIB SNMPv2-MIB TCP-MIB UDP-MIB XGCP-MIB

Reply to
karateD

I haven't, no. I haven't had -official- control over a Cisco router for something like 8 years.

I don't know. My -expectation- is that it would likely not work on an 80x, 81x, or 82x, and that -possibly- it might work on an 83x with 12.4 and an Advanced Security image. The model support I posted earlier was extracted from the Feature Navigator, which isn't the most reliable of sources :(

The reboot SNMP is different in some of the other Cisco models. "snmp reload-enable" + apSnmpExtReloadSet (1.3.6.1.4.1.2467.1.22.7) for the CSS.

I also seem to recall reading of a different approach, which involved setting a "time until reboot" object -- an SNMP equivilent to "reload in N minutes".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

hi walter

this oid i already found on the web, but does not to be available on cisco 800 maybe i should upgrade the ios: Compiled July 2001

i can read out this value on several cisco switches like 3500xl and i get: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.2.9.9.0 = INTEGER: 3 if i set to value 2 : Error in packet. Reason: wrongValue (The set value is illegal or unsupported in some way) Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.2.9.9.0

other values are possible, like 4 for example but does never result in rebooting the device.

what do you mean with "after having configured snmp-server system-shutdown" ?

best regards hans

Reply to
hans m42

The models that Cisco documents as supporting this MIB were not made in 2001. For the 85x and 87x, the IOS versions listed are a few in 12.3 and 12.4; as best I recall, 12.3 did not exist in July 2001.

At the config# prompt, command

snmp-server system-shutdown

If it does not accept the command, then your IOS does not support that MIB.

For devices that do support the MIB, the default is that reboot via SNMP is not allowed: you have to specifically turn on the facility.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

hi walter

yes, the switches do perform a reboot now after setting value to 2. but not my cisco 800. it does accept "snmp-server system-shutdown" but does not accept the oid-value. i will upgrade, maybe it helps.

Reply to
hans m42

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.