equipement recommandation, series 800. Which would I need?

Hi, I have previous hands-on experience with Cisco equipment, but havn't worked on them for 3 years. Now I have a client that needs new network equipment, and the ISP recommended Cisco equipment. Unfortunatly, the specific model they recommended, the Cisco 806, is discontinued. I probably would be able to find one, but prefer to get them something more current and future proof.

I was looking at something from the 850 or 870 series. I need to be able to do one specific thing with it: I have ADSL High Speed internet, and have a range of 5 IP addresses (public), of which I only need 2. I need to be able to have those 2 different IP addresses available from the outside, and both IP represent a different network on the inside. Which router would be the best for my application? I have less then 10 stations connected on the first network, and the other one probably less then 10 at any time (although it may be more, given that's it's a wireless service in an hotel). It doesn't need to have wireless capabilities, as that equipement is already installed. Also, I saw that there were 3 different versions of IOS, the default one, the advanced IP services, and enterprise. The advanced IP and enterprise support VLAN/802.1q trunking, and different routing protocol (OSPF,EIGRP,BGP).

I also would like to be pointed to some references or hints as to were to start to configure the router properly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Stephane

Reply to
mctwist
Loading thread data ...

You might look at the SOHO 91, the 831 or 851 as none of them include wireless -- and there are models that include ADSL if you want to unplug one device. All of the 870 series include an AP. I think some of the IOS differences include VPN/crypto features.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

No...you can buy the 870 series without the wireless option. Also, I wouldn't buy an 831 new at this point. At right around the same price you can buy a wired-only 871 and get much better performance and options.

Everything else you said is right on the money, though.

Reply to
gray.wizard

snipped-for-privacy@moria.mines schrieb:

With the 831 you'll get a mature device with an IOS in LD state at least. 12.4(1b) or 12.4(3a) and soon 12.4(5).

With 850 and 870 series you'll have very few choices if there is a defect in IOS. And new T releases usually have lots of them. I wouldn't rely 12.4(2)Tx at the moment.

If an 806 would be sufficant, the 831 is even more sufficant. The 831 limits VPN hardware encryption to 3DES, the 870 can do both 3DES and AES in hardware.

If a 806 without PLUS is sufficant, a Soho91 should do the same job for less money and mature IOS.

So if terminating IPsec VPN on the router isn't an issue, go for a Soho9x.

Reply to
Uli Link

Uli, I do agree with what you are saying, but there is a definite difference in hardware CPU speed & power. The 831 has a 50 MHz CPU and the 871 has a 266 MHz CPU & having owned both I can tell you that there is quite a bit of difference when it comes to responsiveness & CPU utilization of the two units.

Currently the selection of IOS releases for the 850 and 870 series are limited, that's true. However I am having very good luck with the lastest release once I replaced the image that came on my router. Stability is only going to increase, defects will only dwindle, and number of choices will grow.

Another thing is at least one of those IOS releases you mention for the 831 requires 64 MB of RAM. That leaves a lot of older users out in the cold with the older units that cannot be expanded to 64 MB.

Also, I doubt they are going to be able to cram many more features into the 830 series releases. Things are getting cramped and the 870 series can be expanded to much higher capacities of flash and RAM.

There's also the support for VLANs and integrated wireless in some of the newer models. Those are things that should be considered as well.

Like I said, not disagreeing with what you said one bit, Uli. Just trying to elaborate on your posts so the original poster gets as many facts as possible.

Cisco's web site is not the friendliest place for an average home user to go exploring. I won't even mention that some facts are buried and well-hidden, if not omitted. It's probably worth mentioning that some places will not allow a person to return Cisco equipment once bought & opened so it's best to arm oneself with as much information as possible for purchasing.

Hopefully, some more people will jump in here with their experiences & opinions and give the original poster even more to work with.

Reply to
gray.wizard

snipped-for-privacy@moria.mines schrieb:

That was really a shame. Even more since in the anouncement letter a 32 SDRAM SIMM upgrade was originally announced and there is a similar 32MB SIMM for the 1700 series. I had great luck, my home 11month old 48MB 836 died and was refunded for a 64MB one plus only a few EUR addon for a new order :-)

If there are features missing not in the 12.4 major release. Or

12.3(11)T8 for a 48MB max model.

An ADSL connection will usually be the bottleneck, not the throughput limits of a 83x or Soho9x (Without encryption).

With ADSL2+ the 83x becomes the bottleneck.

Reply to
Uli Link

Oh, that was a bit of luck, for sure! You were probably really upset when your router died, but I'm sure you were more than pleased when you got your replacement. Some companies would have insisted on giving you a 48 MB replacement even if it meant having to give you a refurbished model! Hats off to Cisco for that one...I take it you had a SmartNet contract to get such good service?

I don't think there's much, if anything at all, missing now, but this will most likely change over time. Time will tell.

I'm on a cable connection over here. My cable speeds were approaching the maximum an 831 can handle. Now that I have an 871 I don't have to worry if my cable company bumps up my speed.

I loved my 831. I just love my 871W more. :)

I was going to sell the 831, but the more I think about it I may just keep it for a backup router as there is nothing wrong with the technology. Cisco must think the same as I do as they have decided they are not going to EOL it until the middle of next year.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.