Questions on 800 series ADSL router

We've had a Cisco 800 series ADSL router installed on out DSL line for a year or so now and I need to change a couple of port forwarding settings. Initialy the phone company set up a few for me and I haven't had to change them until now. I'd like to do it myself so that in the future if I have more changes I can change them instead of having the phone company do it for me. Here comes the kicker, the original settings were done using a telnet session, I tried to use the web admin page on the router and managed to bolix it up so completely, who knew enabling PAT would reset something else, that I had to have the phone company get in and fix it. Took them 2 days to do it and management was screaming. What I need to know is how can I back up the entire router so that if I screw up I can just redump the settings back in and get back up and running ASAP. I remember the original installer telling me something about the telnet session and recording the settings to a file that I could just play back into the telnet session and reset everything but I do not remember exactly how. The main reason I never played with the router before is that I never could remember how I was told to back it up in the first place and I'd really like to do this now so I can play with VPN and other port forwarding stuff without having to worry about getting billed for my screwups ;) Can anyone give me a short tutorial on backing up this router?

Thanks

Bill

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...
  1. telnet to router
  2. into enable mode
  3. enable logging on your terminal emulator
  4. enter the following commands term lenght 0 sh run
  5. turn off terminal logging
  6. the terminal emulation logging file should now contain teh contents of your configureation.
Reply to
Merv

"Merv" wrote in news:1155137598.317890.138110 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

How do I restore this if/when I screw up the router in the future.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news:Xns981A7AA1836F0fredbarneybigmailbox@216.196.97.142:

I just tried this and the 'run sh' command is not recognized. This is a series 800 router if that matters.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news:Xns981A7BCA3DC1Cfredbarneybigmailbox@216.196.97.142:

Dyslexic be must I, this morning. Running the right command 'sh run' does produce a settings report. Now how do I go about restoring the system using this?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news:Xns981A7C73E3345fredbarneybigmailbox@216.196.97.142:

One final question before I sit back and wait for the knowledge to just flow in ;) Is the output of the sh run command the entire settings for the router? What I mean is if I had a factory fresh router could I use just the info from that command to completely set up the router up so that it would work if I just dropped in in place of the original router or is there something else I need. I'm just trying to cover my a.. ah I mean cover my bases so I don't have another round of 'Where the heck are my emails' and 'Why can't I get to my websites' again other than for a few minutes while I restore the router to pristine conditions.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The sh run does display /all/ of the settings - /except/ that

by default some of the interfaces are shutdown

some of them will need

router# conf t router(config)#int atm 0 router(config-if)#no shut router(config)#int eth0 router(config-if)#no shut ..... router(config-if)#end

router# copy running-config startup-config

Unfortunately cisco kit is all pretty much designed for professional use and it takes a while to get into it.

You could try the GUI tools but my experience of them has not been that good.

You really need one to play with to make sure that you do not have serious problems - unless you can deal with the resultant outage.

ebay is your friend?

It may seem weird that /some/ interfaces are shutdown but there are reasonable reasons for it. See recent post by me.

## AH I nearly forgot the MOST important bit ##

When you change the config with the command line changes are not saved unless you save them specifically.

So - you just reload or power off to restore.

formatting link
826, 827, 828, 831, 836, and 837 and SOHO 76, 77, 78, 91, 96, and 97 Routers Software Configuration Guide

Reply to
anybody43

Hi Bill,

You may find the following Cisco 800 Series Config Wizards of interest.

Cisco 851, 851W, 857, 857W, 871, 871W, 877, 877W Configuration Wizard:

formatting link
Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 Configuration Wizard:

formatting link
Cisco IPv6 Config Wizard:

formatting link
Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 Basic Configuration:

formatting link
Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 Firewall Configuration:

formatting link
Cisco 827/827H/837 Firewall PPTP Configuration:

formatting link
Cisco 827/827H/837 Business Configuration:

formatting link
Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 ADSL IPSec configuration:

formatting link
Cisco 827/827H/SOHO97/837 ADSL Firewall IPSec configuration:

formatting link
Cisco 827H/SOHO97/837 GUI Config:

formatting link
How to load a config file onto a Cisco router:

formatting link
How to do port forwarding (for sites with internal servers):

formatting link
Hope these are of interest.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Technical Forums
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.