Total installed RAM via SNMP?

Does anybody know how to derive the total physical RAM installed in common Cisco Routers and Switches via SNMP?

It's easy via "show version", but I'm after a scriptable method to use on

500 odd Cisco devices.

Cheers, Oppy.

Reply to
OppyLock
Loading thread data ...

In article , OppyLock wrote: :Does anybody know how to derive the total physical RAM installed in common :Cisco Routers and Switches via SNMP?

If I recall correctly, the memory OIDs changed once, so with your 500 devices you might happen to have some that use the older scheme.

The older scheme involved a few OIDs reflecting total RAM size.

The newer scheme involves memory pool sizes: you total up the pools to find the total RAM.

If you happen to have PIXen, the table OID is ..1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.2.1.1.3 and if you walk that you will see that it is pretty much self- documenting. For example,

..1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.2.1.1.3.256.8 = "current number of available 256 byte blocks" ..1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.2.1.1.3.1550.3 = "maximum number of allocated 1550 byte blocks"

:It's easy via "show version", but I'm after a scriptable method to use on :500 odd Cisco devices.

formatting link
is a good way to locate OID information.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Most of the devices seems to be running 12.1 IOS or later and I think the older MIB was deprecated prior to that. It's easy enough to walk both and fish out the bits I need though.

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your interest.

I had a poke around initially in the memory pool MIB, as it sounds like a good place to start. Unfortunately, what it shows is the output of the show memory command which is "Total RAM - IOS footprint"

For example, a 1720 shows "24576 / 8192K" under show version, yet total RAM is reported as 19556428 via show memory and the MIB. Another way to skin the cat would be to determine the rough IOS footprint for each series and round it all up to the nearest RAM multiple. It's a bit hit 'n miss though without being able to determine the IOS RAM used ...

Since this info will be used to compile a shopping list for upgrades it does need to be accurate. The remainder of the equation is flash, model, current IOS and feature set. All these are a snap to obtain via SNMP and its easy enough to get the physical requirements for our goal IOS from Cisco for each model ...

No PIX. They've gone for another flavour of firewall on the front and back doors. It's mostly 1700, 2600, 3600 series routers and 2500, 3500 series switches that make up the bulk of it. A few 7200's and Cat 4000's round out the cores and a couple of special purpose boxes thrown in for good measure.

Reply to
OppyLock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.