RE: Cisco Router for BGP and DS3, Admin Distance

> I am thinking of 45mbps to one and 5mbps to other. I hope to set it up >> to

>> only use the 5mbps in the event the 45 has no route or a really bad route >> to a destination. > The second issue is your asymmetric bandwidth to the Internet. You do > have > some control on incoming traffic by prepending your AS multiple times on > the > low bandwidth link You will probably need to prepend your AS 8 or 9 times > maybe more depending on your ISP. For outgoing traffic you will need to > use > a floating static for your default route to the internet routers.

I heard this could be done with a setting called "admin distance". Is that correct? I figure it might be somewhat common to have a need to balance unequal BGP routes?

M
Reply to
M
Loading thread data ...

Admin distance will only impact egress routing, and will not impact ingress. The original proposed solution above is probably the way to go to ensure that traffic from the internet uses one path over the other (the bigger pipe), and you can use route maps to influence which path to take out. You would create a route map for each bgp neighbor, and the one with the larger pipe would have a higher local preference.

Here is what you pretty much want to do if I understand your requirements correctly, great link:

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.