Cisco 2611 and BGP

Ok, I have my nomex on... I have a customer with a Cisco 2611, 32meg memory, 16mb flash, one T1 W1C, one ADSL W1C.

Customer wants to multi-home using two frame connections (one frame-T1, two dlci, two remote locations) and the dsl as a "backup" to the frame.

Remote routers are all Cisco 7206vxr.

Question I have, is can (and hopefully suggestions on how best) this router support BGP with only a default route from each remote (the two frame end points and the DSL endpoint 7206s). Something like the: ip prefix-list ABC seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 shown in the cisco docs under sample configs for multihoming where only a default route is required (not full or even partial tables)...

Thanks,

Larry Smith lesmith (at) ecsis.net

Reply to
Larry Smith
Loading thread data ...

Yes, yes, and yes.

Now for the challenges:

• Load balancing is not automatic between the two DLCI's. You'll need to do some work. Google is your friend, as is the FAQ.

• The chances of losing one DLCI and not the other is a lot lower than logic would say it should be.

• The DSL backup will be tricky, but not impossible if you need to NAT to use it.

• The DSL backup will be impossible if you need to use NAT on both frame and DSL.

• 26xx IOS 12.3 base IP does NOT support BGP. You will need to downgrade to IOS 12.2 or upgrade to as 12.3 feature set which does include BGP.

• This does not protect you from a frame link with high BER. But then, nothing does :-(

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Larry,

Why not build a VPN with a higher metric route over the DSL line for your backup link. This way either side can initiate the connection and you don't have to deal with the hassles of BGP.

-Richard

Reply to
Richard Graves

Richard,

Yes, that will work for the DSL backup, but what about the two frames (that connect to different cities/routers)?

Reply to
Larry Smith

Thanks,

As for challenges, NAT is not requried (or desired) on any; current IOS does support BGP (at least the commands are there) and load balancing is not required. Plan old routing.

EG: DLCI to City A as primary DLCI to City B as secondary DSL as frame "fail-over".

Reply to
Larry Smith

Larry,

You want to load balance/fail-over the two PVCs? You could build a PPP multilink group to accomplish this, and its still simplier than using BGP, in my opinion.

-Richard

Reply to
Richard Graves

Richard,

As mentioned earlier in this thread, load balancing is not required. Plan old routing.

EG: DLCI to City A as primary DLCI to City B as secondary DSL as frame "fail-over".

Reply to
Larry Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.