BGP in a static route environment

I am starting a project being required by an outside agency for network communication. Our network presently runs on static routes allowing internal personnel in multiple locations to access internet services. We have found that to be easier for us to maintain that using any other router protocol. Now I have a requirement to place BGP onto this network. I have selected a Cisco 2811 to be the external router handling the eBGP aspects. My question is will I have issues since I am runninig static routes? Should I stress to the party requiring me to install BGP that it would be better for me to install a static route into the 2811 pointing to their network? If I can use a static route, I presume I will install an access list to prevent advertising my internal network? Finally, for the internal parties that need to access this service, I am looking at upgrading their current router to a 1841. Does anyone see an issue with that selection? Any insight into this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Reply to
skymax_taf
Loading thread data ...

communication. Our network presently runs on static routes allowing internal personnel in multiple locations to access internet services. We have found that to be easier for us to maintain that using any other router protocol. Now I have a requirement to place BGP onto this network. I have selected a Cisco 2811 to be the external router handling the eBGP aspects. My question is will I have issues since I am runninig static routes? Should I stress to the party requiring me to install BGP that it would be better for me to install a static route into the 2811 pointing to their network? If I can use a static route, I presume I will install an access list to prevent advertising my internal network? Finally, for the internal parties that need to access this service, I am looking at upgrading their current router to a 1841. Does anyone see an issue with that selection? Any insight into this matter w ill be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Hello,

A few questions:

1.) Do you have your own Internet ingress/egress, or, do you utilize your upstream agencies connection? 2.) Will your site provide Internet transit services to the rest of the organization? 3.) Is this BGP requirement due to you migrating to MPLS and are in need of route peering with the provider? 4.) Do you own your own CIDR block(s), or, do you share IP space with another agency?

There are quite a few unanswered questions and options to discuss. It might be helpful to understand some more background. The routers you're describing won't work in a "traditional" Internet BGP peering scenario (full Internet route table). You could get away with taking a default route or perhaps even partial/customer routes from the provider, but you also need to consider the robustness of your solution since router instability (resources, interface, whatever) could bite you in the form of route dampening upstream. You also need to consider issues such as route policy to the Internet and your internal sites (e.g. iBGP peering). You may need to weave your IGP (OSPF, EIGRP, etc.) routing architecture into your BGP policies. You may need to deal with BGP communities so that certain routes/prefixes can have appropriate policies applied upstream from your net. And on and on it goes...in short, there's a lot of horsepower with BGP. :-)

Could you elaborate on your situation a bit more?

Reply to
fugettaboutit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.