Trying to run RealVNC with a LinkSys WRT54G router

Hi

I'm trying to set up VNC to run over the internet. I put the RealVNC Server on a desktop machine, and have been testing with VNCviewer on my laptop.

I've gone through the realvnc web site, and configured my home machine to match the suggested settings, but I still can't get it to work. When I run the test CGI from the RealVnc web site on the VNC server machine, it hangs for a few minutes, then just says "failed". The VNCviewer waits for a few seconds, then gives a timeout error. I've tried to use 192.168.1.102, and also the IP Address indicated on the RealVnc test page.

The documentation I've used is from

formatting link
and
formatting link
Any ideas?

I'm running Windows XP

ipconfig shows: DHCP enabled Autoconfiguration enabled IP Address 192.168.1.102 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 DNS Server xx.xxx.xx.xx

TCP/IP settings: Static IP address 192.168.1.102 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.1.1

My LinkSys WRT54G router settings are as follows:

Firewall protection is enabled. Block Anonymous Internet Requests is off.

Port range settings: VNC1 5500~5500 Both 192.168.1.102 VNC2 5800~5800 Both 192.168.1.102 VNC3 5900~5900 Both 192.168.1.102

Reply to
DanG
Loading thread data ...

"DanG" hath wroth:

(...)

You don't need the 5500 port forwarding.

5800 and 5900 should work the way you have it configured. 5800 for web access. 5900 for the viewer. I have it setup on a variety of machines that way.

I can't tell from your description if it works locally on your LAN or not. Find a 2nd computer, never mind the router, and try connecting to the VNC server directly. If that works, then there's a problem with the router. If it doesn't work, you haven't started the server or messed up on the configuration (or have a firewall or spyware trap in the way). https://192.168.1.102:5800Note the https, not http.

I just tried to connect to your IP (72.24.114.42) of the moment on both 5800 and 5900 with both RealVNC and TightVNC. Nothing. I'll resist the temptation to run a port scan but you might want to try it from one of the internet based security testing servers to see if the ports are open and alive.

Also, RealVNC 4.1.1 has a nasty security hole. I got hacked last week by someone running a scripted exploit. Make sure you're using 4.1.2.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff

I saw that you gave some good info to other folks. I'm glad to see you picked up my post, too.

I have the WRT54G router, with a desktop (102) and a laptop (101). The desktop is running the VNCserver, v4.1.2. Mostly I want to be able to view this machine from a computer at work. For now, I just put the viewer on the laptop to test, albeit unsuccessfully. I tried running https://192.168.1.102:5800 from the laptop, but received a timeout message.

The VNC server configuration is as installed. It's set to accept connections on 5900. "Serve Java viewer via HTTP" is 5800.

I started to go through the instructions at

formatting link
but most of it is over my head. I am able to ping 192.168.1.102 from 101, but I could not telnet to it. Beyond that, I'm not sure if any special configurations are required for lmhost, etc.

I downloaded and installed Tracert, though I haven't figured out what to do with it. When you mentioned "internet based security testing servers", is that part of it? I googled the term, and tracert came up.

I though this was going to be easy to set up. If I have to start reconfiguring too much, I'll just bag it. But if you can think of anything else for me to try, I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks much Dan

Reply to
DanG

"DanG" hath wroth:

Duh.... I ran into the same thing a few times and forgot to mention the fix. The Windoze Firewall on XP needs to have an "Exception" rule set to allow VNC to work. To make sure this is the problem, temporarily disable the Windoze Firewall with: Control Panel -> Windoze Firewall -> OFF It should work.

To add the exception is a bit tricky. Control Panel -> Windoze Firewall -> Exceptions -> Add a program Search for the server program that runs VNC. I think it's: C:\\Program Files\\RealVNC\\VNC4\\Winvnc4.exe but I'm not sure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

A bit more on adding exceptions: |

formatting link
some interesting stuff on troubleshooting.

I'm not sure about this one: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That worked!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Interestingly, I had already tried disabling the firewall, but it didn't help. I must have been doing something else wrong at the time. I also noticed that WinVNC.exe and vncviewer.exe were already in the list. winvnc4.exe was not. The others may have been entered automagically when I installed an old copy of VNC.

So the final test is to try to get in from my office machine, outside of my home network. How should I expect to refer to it? "24.116.3.12:5800"? or "72.24.114.42:5800"? (I don't get where the "72" number comes from, but the RealVNC test program seems to use it.)

Greatfully Dan

Reply to
DanG

"DanG" hath wroth:

A miracle. Sorry about not remembering the problem. I see suprisingly little mention of the XP firewall problem in the docs. I'll see if I can add it or get it added.

RealVNC doesn't install anything in the exceptions list. My guess(tm) is that they came from TightVNC. See if you have: C:\\Program Files\\TightVNC\\WinVNC.exe on your machine. There's nothing wrong with having both on a machine. Just don't run both servers at the same time. Last time I tried it, I didn't get an error message, I got a crash and hang.

It's your WAN IP address. From your new header, you IP address is currently: 72.24.114.42 Run:

formatting link
verify.

From the internet, you should try: https://72.24.114.42:5800/I just tried it and it appears that you're already connected. I suggest you get a dynamic DNS provider so you can always find your IP address, which can change. I use DynDNS.com. The first 5 IP's are free.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yep, it worked from the office machine.

Thanks again! Dan

Reply to
DanG

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.