Problem Configuring 2621

I have a somewhat vexing issue, the router is running 12.3(9)

I am configuring this to be a spare for an existing 2621 which is running 12.0(7). I enter all the configuration information and when done do a write to save it and to test it out do a power cycle and when it comes back up it starts a dialog

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: no

And the configuration I entered is gone. So I try the same again, but instead of write, copy running-config startup-config command, power cycle and same thing, the config is gone. Now,

Router# dir all Directory of nvram:/

25 -rw- 2824 startup-config 26 ---- 5 private-config 1 -rw- 0 ifIndex-table

29688 bytes total (25783 bytes free) Directory of system:/

10 drwx 0 its 2 dr-x 0 memory 1 -rw- 608 running-config 9 dr-x 0 vfiles

No space information available Directory of flash:8820 c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-9.bin

16252924 bytes total (74040 bytes free)

Now when I look at the files, running-config appears larger even though DIR says it is less than 1/4 the size. What happened to the config I entered? Is there a better wat to rransfer the config from one router to the other rather than a cut-and-paste approach.

Router#more nvram:startup-config ! ! Last configuration change at 22:03:07 UTC Mon Oct 1 2007 ! NVRAM config last updated at 22:03:25 UTC Mon Oct 1 2007 ! version 12.3 service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname Router ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! enable secret 5 $1$dhgS$51AbmNnbK10TMv.4Farvw1 enable password xxxxxxxxxxx ! no aaa new-model ip subnet-zero no ip routing no ip cef ! !

Router#more system:running-config ! version 12.3 service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname Router ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! ! no aaa new-model ip subnet-zero ip cef ! ! ! ip audit po max-events 100 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! interface FastEthernet0/0 no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0 no ip address shutdown ! interface FastEthernet0/1 no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! no ip http server no ip http secure-server ip classless ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! line con 0 line aux 0 line vty 0 4 ! ! end

Router#

Reply to
Tom Linden
Loading thread data ...

Please post a show boot.

Reply to
Trendkill

Router#show boot ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Tried same on other router got the same

Reply to
Tom Linden

Tom,

Your router set to ignore config. Check your "config-register". Do "show version", and at the bottom of the screen look for Config Register value. If it's different from 0x2102, then change it to 0x2102:

conf t conf 0x2102 wr mem reboot

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Thanks, Mike. I could see al the output of the SHOW VERSION running remotely and talking through a Xyplex terminal server, and must be overrunning some buffers (another problem to solve) anyway I thought it wouldn't to reset the register, but no REBOOT command so issued RELOAD.

Did lose the config I had constructed. How do I copy the config from one router to another?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Linden

Thanks Mike, that appears to have solved my problem

Reply to
Tom Linden

Sorry about that, slipped into Catalyst mode for a second. It should have showed the boot and config-register stuff in show hardware (and show version as well I believe). Glad Mike helped you get this resolved...take care.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.