1720 and comcast

I recently purchased a 1720 router and thanks to the help received here I have it up and running now. I have a wic-1enet on it. ios 12.39(c)

I currently do not have it configured, it's not connected to anything at the moment.

I've been trying to find a configuration for my comcast connection. using the 10mb wic to the cable modem and the 10/100 nic to my switch to the rest of the lan.

I've looked at the config posted here. But this user is having speed issues that I would like to try to avoid if possible.

formatting link
The router has 16mb flash, and maxed out on ram. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
cbtl
Loading thread data ...
12.3(9c) is now a deffered image.

Since it looks like you purchased this used, I do not know if Cisco will provide an upgrade.

Call they Cisco TAC tell them your router has a deffered image and see if they will provide 12.3(9d) or 12.3(9e). You do not need to mention you acquired it used unless they ask.

Reply to
Merv

I just re-read Cisco software re-licensing policy. Apparently software license do not transfer if you bought the unit used.

For a copy of the re-licensing policy see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Thanks but right now I'm just trying to get a ios configuration up that will let me replace my current router with this one.

Reply to
cbtl

So what do you have so far ?

If you have a config please post

Reply to
Merv

I(f speed is the issue, check and make sure thst your cable-modem isn't hard-coded at 100mbs/Full. Since your router is 10/half....that would cause speed issues in the form of colission etc..........

Reply to
Devecchio Turner

According to Cisco docs the WIC-1ENET does NOT auto-sense ( amazing .. ):

formatting link
try setting the speed to 10 and the duplex to full to see if the cable modem support it

send some traffic and then check the output of show interface for runts and giants whci is one sign of duplex mismatch.

IOS Commands

This section describes the full-duplex and half-duplex IOS commands. Cisco WIC-1ENET is set to half-duplex mode by default, and it does not auto-sense. If you set the Cisco to full-duplex operation, you must also set the device to which the port is attached to full-duplex mode. full-duplex Command

To put the Ethernet interface into full-duplex mode, use the full-duplex command. The "no" form of this command changes the port to half-duplex mode.

full-duplex no full-duplex

Syntax Description

full-duplex

Interface is in full-duplex mode.

no full-duplex

Interface is in half-duplex mode.

Half-duplex mode

Command Mode

Interface configuration mode

Usage Guidelines

Use the full-duplex command to put the Cisco WIC-1ENET Ethernet interface into 10-Mbps full-duplex operation. The interface can be put into half-duplex mode again by entering the no full-duplex command.

Example

The following example puts the Cisco WIC-1ENET Ethernet interface into full-duplex mode:

1750(config)#interface Ethernet 0

1750(config-if)#full-duplex

The following example puts the Cisco WIC-1ENET Ethernet interface into half-duplex mode:

1750(config)#interface Ethernet 0

1750(config-if)#no full-duplex

To verify the interface state, enter a show interface command as follows:

1750#show interface Ethernet 0

Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is PQUICC Ethernet, address is 0001.64ff.ef6a (bia

0001.64ff.ef6a)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 10BaseT

Reply to
Merv

Worst-case scenario, switch the connections for testing....plug your cable-modem into the 100/full side of the router and your switch into the

10/half side....based on the number of users, you may not have an issue......just remenber to change the commands for the interfaces......

formatting link

Reply to
Devecchio Turner

Thank you all for the help, I've got the router online with comcast now. And all is well except for DHCP. the router doesn't seem to be doing it at all. Here's my current config if someone would take a look for me.

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 957 bytes ! version 12.3 service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec service password-encryption ! hostname boromir ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! enable secret 5 ! memory-size iomem 15 no aaa new-model ip subnet-zero ! ! ip name-server 4.2.2.1 ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.6 ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.7 ! ip dhcp pool boromir ! ip cef ip address-pool dhcp-pool ! ! ! ! interface Ethernet0 ip address dhcp ip nat outside half-duplex ! interface FastEthernet0 description connected to EthernetLAN ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside speed auto ! router rip version 2 network 192.168.1.0 no auto-summary ! ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet0 overload ip classless ip http server ! access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 ! line con 0 exec-timeout 0 0 password 7 login line aux 0 line vty 0 4 password 7 login ! end

Reply to
cbtl

actually I just figured it out, forgot to set the pool range and netmask. all is well now. Thanks much all.

Reply to
cbtl
  1. Enable internal syslogging:

conf t logging buffer 10000 debug exit wri mem

1. Verify that the "outside" interface connected to the cable modem is up & up

sh int e 0 !

! 3. Enable DHCP debugging

debug dhcp detail

1. Shut/no shut outside interface or otherwise cuase it to initiate DHCP request

1. Try adding the additional optional parameters for DHCP

conf t int e 0 ! The DISCOVER message contains the MAC address of the Ethernet 0 interface ! in the client ID field and contains the default host name of the router in the ! option 12 field. ip address dhcp client-id ethernet0 exit wri mem

repeat the above troubleshooting steps

after finished testing disable debug

undebug all

use "show log" to see debug messages in internal logging buffer

see

formatting link

Also you need to add a default route:

conf t ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp wri mem

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.