O's?

So, I am copying a new IOS onto a router, and it does the standard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thing...

and then it gets to about 84% and then streams O's (the letter O, not zeros)...

I can find no reference to this on Cisco's website, or anywhere.

It is a Cisco 1760, with 64MB of Flash and 128MB of RAM.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan
Loading thread data ...

Does it finishes the copying or it stays there ? Check the new image for memory requirements.

Reply to
Passadis

During a copy operation, you may get the following characters:

- A pound sign (#) generally means that a Flash memory device is being cleared and initialized. (Different platforms use different ways of indicating that Flash is being cleared.)

- An exclamation point (!) means that ten packets have been transferred successfully.

- A series of "V" characters means that a checksum verification of the file is occurring after the file is written to Flash memory.

- An "O" means an out-of-order packet.

- A period (.) means a timeout.

Reply to
Dan Daniels

Once the O's start streaming, they go REALLY fast, and it just keeps counting past 100% on the TFTP server...

The image requires 64MB of flash and 96MB of RAM...

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Check the free space on the flash. I'll bet that the image is bigger than the available flash memory.

Scott

Reply to
thrill5

The flash is being erased before the copy begins.

And I have 64MB of Flash

System flash directory: File Length Name/status 1 16233196 c1700-ipvoice-mz.123-11.T5.bin [16233260 bytes used, 50613456 available, 66846716 total]

65536K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

And I am copying an 18.5MB file to the router...

I originally thought it was a corrupt IOS, but I have tried multiple IOSs, including Enterprise, AdvEnterprise, 12.2, 12.3, 12.3T, etc, et al.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Does your platform support the "squeeze" command? If so, try it.

M.

Reply to
Mark Lar

Hi Johnathan,

What TFTP Server Software are you using for this? Please note that the TFTP server on the Cisco Site (and several others) has a 16MB file size limitation, anything larger than that fails to transfer correctly due to a counter roll-over. To get around this issue I use the

3CDAEMON product (3CDv2r10.zip, slightly less than 1MB) as a TFTP Server, its written by a 3com employee, but is available as freeware. An excellent product -

formatting link
Cheers...............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Did that too...

Same error...

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Well, it started to work using the 3ComTFTP...

At 16,773,120 bytes, I got the following: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.O.O.O [timed out]

And then it kicked me back...

At least I got a different error...

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

OK, now I have tried two different images, using the 3CServer, and both times, it died at exactly 16,773,120 bytes, which is exactly

111111111111000000000000 in binary.

So, I tried the 3CDaemon, and it worked fine...

Cool.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.