Pix Choices

Hello all,

I have a question. I am putting together a regional network for a state agency. Here is a basic breakdown of the network architecture I wish to achieve:

1 Main Office 6 Satellite Offices

The existing architecture is a private T-1 between the state mainframe and the regional head office. Currently, the users of this network at the regional head office (a total of 7 users) use PCs with Terminal Emulation clients to reach the state mainframe via the T-1. That works fine and nothing of interest there. However, these users spend much of the week operating out of remote locations. There are six laptops these users bring with them to these remote locations. They travel to these remote locations one at a time, three days a week. They spend one day at the remote location then move to another location the next day. Only one remote location is in use on any given day. Currently, the users dial up directly to the state via regular phone lines to attach to the state mainframe. Due to changing architectures, the state would like to do away with the dialup and move to TCP/IP. This means that the remote sites now must communicate with the head office and THEN be transported to the state mainframe via the link from the head office to the mainframe. I propose to accomplish this via DSL connections at the remote locations, transport the data via VPN to the regional head office, and then send the data on its way to the state mainframe via the T-1.

My question is this: which device would be best for the regional head office for the VPN? I have already settled on the Pix 501 for the remote locations. I originally planned to use another 501 for the head office end of the VPN tunnel. However, I am looking at the 515e for the head office now. Is this overkill? With so few users (the bandwidth requirements for the applications are very small, in truth a 56K dialup would do just fine for the amount of bandwidth required for the applications) will a 501 at the head office fulfill the requirements? Or is the 515e required at the head office location simply because it is the "master" end of the tunnel?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Reply to
Thomas Miller
Loading thread data ...

In article , Thomas Miller wrote: :I am putting together a regional network for a state :agency. Here is a basic breakdown of the network architecture I wish to :achieve:

:1 Main Office :6 Satellite Offices

:They travel to these remote locations :one at a time, three days a week. They spend one day at the remote location :then move to another location the next day. Only one remote location is in :use on any given day.

:This means that the remote sites now must communicate with the head :office and THEN be transported to the state mainframe via the link from the :head office to the mainframe.

:My question is this: which device would be best for the regional head office :for the VPN? I have already settled on the Pix 501 for the remote locations. :I originally planned to use another 501 for the head office end of the VPN :tunnel. However, I am looking at the 515e for the head office now. Is this :overkill?

Yes.

For your needs, I would expect that a PIX 501 or 506E would be sufficient.

I suspect if you look carefully you might find more than 10 IP devices in the regional office -- 6 PCs, yes, but then there's the printers and the fax machines, and the local PDC... If not now, then in the reasonable future.

A 501 can handle the bandwidth you indicated without difficulty. The base 501 has the "10 user" limit, which is 10 simultaneous IP addresses. You could either go for the 506E now and avoid all the user limits, or you could wait and see and upgrade to a

50 user license on the 501 later if it is needed.

On the whole, I would suggest that the 506E would be better. It is notably faster than the 501, does not have the user limits -- and has more memory, which is going to be important when PIX 7.x is made available on the 501 and 506E .

:Or is the 515e required at the head office :location simply because it is the "master" end of the tunnel?

Not at all. We have 501 501 tunnels, and we have 501 506E tunnels.

The 501 and 506/506E have the advantage of being able to use PPPoE, which is an login authentication method often used with DSL (though less often with business plans.) They can also do PPTP dialout.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

PIX501 can be purchased with a 50 user limit and an unlimited user limit. However, When you compare the price of a PXI501 unlimited to a PIX506E (which is unlimited) , it makes more sense to get the 506E because the costs are so close.

I'd put the 506E as a minimum at the head office. I'd try and get more details from Cisco on PIX7.x and find out when it will realistically be out for PIX501 and 506E and what features will be lost. There are some great new features in PIX7.x for the higher model PIX's, some which you might find you really want, and could loose by using a 501 or 506E at the head office.

Reply to
ESM

In article , ESM wrote: :PIX501 can be purchased with a 50 user limit and an unlimited user limit.

Yes, I specifically mentioned the 50 user license upgrade as a possibility.

:However, When you compare the price of a PXI501 unlimited to a PIX506E :(which is unlimited) , it makes more sense to get the 506E because the costs :are so close.

I'd put it at a lower breakpoint: that beyond about 25-30 users one should probably get the 506E. The OP had, though, a low-bandwidth situation and somewhere close to the 10 user limit. Under the circumstances, with PIX 6.x, it would make more financial sense to go for a 501 -- except for the factor that the 506E will surely be much better positioned to run more of PIX 7.x, so it is noticably more "future-proof" than the 501.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.