"Industry Standard" Compact Flash cards in Cisco 2811 routers?

I just purchased a Cisco 2811. It has a 64MB flash card. I need a 256MB flash for the IOS I have to load.

This thing looks like an industry-standard flash card I can buy at BestBuy for $35...

Is it? Do I have to pay the $600 CDW wants for a 256MB flash card, or can I just use a $35 256MB flash card I purchase at Best Buy?

I copied the 64MB flash contents to a 128MB CompactFlash card I had laying around into the unit and it seemed to work just fine.

Reply to
Vinny
Loading thread data ...

Not sure about the 2811, but I just plugged in a Wintek CF card w/ 256 MB into my Catalyst 6500 Sup 720 and successfully copied my bootflash image to it. I have access to a 2811, so I'll let you know if it works.

Brian

V> I just purchased a Cisco 2811. It has a 64MB flash card. I need a 256MB

Reply to
response3

Yes, it is. Should work fine.

Cisco's memory pricing has historically been astronomically expensive. They haven't changed pricing models on that any time lately.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks everyone. I picked up a Lexar CompactFlash card on the way home last nite, and it seems to work A-OK.

Oddly enough, there is one file on the "stock" CompactFlash card which I cannot seem to copy. The file, "128MB.sdf", doesn't seem to be needed, though. I have no idea what its for, but it appears really the only file I need on the compactflash card is the IOS image itself I want to boot.

Reply to
Vinny

formatting link

Reply to
Rod Dorman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.