No IP Route Command

I have powered up an older Cisco router. It is a 7204 running IOS 12.0.

It seems to work fine but I can't find the "IP Route" command to create static routes. It doesn't show up as a command even in Enable mode. Do I need to activate some other routing capability for that command to become available?

TIA

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin
Loading thread data ...

# conf t

(config)# ip routing

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately, that command also does not show up.

It's like something basic is not enabled and the commands are being hidden because of that.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

post the output of show version and post the config

Reply to
Merv

I will upload sometime but right now I am tied up for the afternoon. Thanks for the input.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I suspect that the router is running the boot image rather than the usual system image and so IP routing is not even in the image.

Does your router prompt have "(boot)" as part of the prompt string? If so, you should make sure you have a system image in flash, configure with the appropriate "boot system" commands, make sure that the config register is 0x2 and reboot the system. That will boot the system in the system image and you will have the IP routing capability that you need.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

In that case, it's likely that your router is running the boot ROM IOS.

Do you see the word (boot) as part of your prompt?

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

also check out this Cisco field notice

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for all the pointers. It was in the boot mode. I loaded the wrong image.

Now up and running.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.