Does RIP advertise static route 0.0.0.0?

Does RIP advertise static route 0.0.0.0? According to the book I'm reading(the official Cisco Press book for ICND), if you create the static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0, it will be advertised by RIP.

I have read other places where this isn't true. What is the correct answer? I know for a fact you can advertise default routes with ip default-network command. These default routes will then be advertised as 0.0.0.0

What happens when you issue the command

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next hop ip address

Does this route get advertised by RIP?

Muchas Gracias :)

-Ciscopimpenator

Reply to
ciscopimpenator
Loading thread data ...

As with all networking questions, the answer is: - it depends.

...It depends on what version of IOS you are using. In older versions of IOS, the version of RIP used, automatically redistributed the default static router. With IOS version 12.0T and later, RIP does not advertise the default route if the route is not learned via RIP. It may be necessary to redistribute the route into RIP.

Assuming you are using something newer than 12.0T, simply "redistribute static" under "router rip" and you should have it.

-JC

Reply to
J.Cottingim

Truer words were never spoken.

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

newer version of IOS also suppport the default-info originate command

router rip network 10.0.0.0 default-information originate

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.