HSRP over mutiple 6509 switches

Hi.

I have 2 6509 switches, with dual supervisor modules. They are currently connected to each other via an etherchannel trunk.

I am still running a class b subnet, but will be changing to class c, and using vlans on the switches.

I intend on using hsrp standby groups on the switches for maximum redundancy.

Can I assume the following config?

CatA_supA interface vlan1 ip address 192.168.1.250 255.255.255.0 standby 1 priority 200 preempt standby 1 ip 192.168.1.254

CatA-supB interface vlan1 ip address 192.168.1.251 255.255.255.0 standby 1 priority 160 preempt standby 1 ip 192.168.1.254

CatB_supA interface vlan1 ip address 192.168.1.252 255.255.255.0 standby 1 priority 140 preempt standby 1 ip 192.168.1.254

CatB-supB interface vlan1 ip address 192.168.1.253 255.255.255.0 standby 1 priority 120 preempt standby 1 ip 192.168.1.254

As I am using the standby group number on all routers, they all form part of the same hsrp group? How do the hsrp groups talk to each other

- is it using hello ?

I also presume, that any client on either Cat will use the higher priority interface, even if it's on the other Cat?

Is this a good/valid configuration, or is there a better simpler way to do it?

My thought is that this provides me with a good redundancy, as if the primary supervisor goes down, the 2nd will take over, or if an entire switch goes down, the remaining one can support the default gateway? I would stagger the priorities of the various vlans across the switches/router modules evenly.

Many thanks all....

Pete.

Reply to
Imayroam
Loading thread data ...

read this please

formatting link

Reply to
Roman Nakhmanson

and this

formatting link

Reply to
Roman Nakhmanson

Hi Roman,

thanks for the quick response....

Are these notes pointing at Native IOS on the cat, and not the hybrid CatOS/IOS? I am running the later...

Thanks

Pete.

Reply to
Imayroam

my bad both links are for "native"

Reply to
Roman Nakhmanson

To answer one question HSRP uses hello packets to the multicast add of

224.0.0 2 ( all outers)

A better way would be to use the command: set system highavailability enable on the Sup cards and

redundancy high-availability single-router-mode on the RSM's or MFC's

That way CatA-supB and CatB-supB only become active when the A sup fails it makes the configs easier to look at because at any given time you only have two Sup's active versus all four. However your config's would work as is.

Reply to
the_jonesboys_posse

formatting link

Reply to
Roman Nakhmanson

Cool.

I have the system highavail... enabled on the switch (not the MSFC) and I believe that this sync's the port config (eg vlan info) between the 2 sups in the that chassis.?

So in single router mode, I only configure one sup on each Cat (using the above config) and it is sync'd to the other sup?

Is the only benefit of doing it this way to reduce the admin overhead of maintaining 4 configs instead of 2, or this there a more technical reason?

Many thanks for your replies...

Pete.

Reply to
Imayroam

If you are running in hybrid mode, you should give consideration to migrating to native as a first step.

It will help simplify the configuration considerablely

Reply to
Merv

"So in single router mode, I only configure one sup on each Cat (using the above config) and it is sync'd to the other sup? "

Yes, when you make a config change on the active sup it is automaticly pushed down to the standby SUP/MSFC thats one of the things I really like; before, someone would add and interface to the active and not the standby let alone setup HSRP. Bottom line is it won't be two long before all 4 of your config's are out of whack.

"Is the only benefit of doing it this way to reduce the admin overhead of maintaining 4 configs instead of 2, or this there a more technical reason?"

Thats one reason, but in testing you'll find that HSRP hello's are sent every 3 sec with a default hold-time of 10 sec and a transition time of

5 to 10 sec, so if a sup card fails youll have about a 25 second outage, with single router mode the transition from standby sup to active sup is almost undetectable.
Reply to
the_jonesboys_posse

Hi Merv,

Not possible i'm afraid. We're running hybrid around our organisation, and this is the 1st installation with 2 cats.

Thanks.

Reply to
Imayroam

Well your organization is missing out on some very useful features ...

Reply to
Merv

Thank you all for your input.

I'll look into native mode a bit more, but I think the costs of upgrading all our switches will be too much currently. I'll also look more into the single router mode options for faster failover.

With thanks,

Pete.

Reply to
Imayroam

also take a look at Catalyst modular software for future consideration.

This is key to non-stop forwarding which is where IOS is headed in higher end boxes

formatting link
and

NSF with stateful switch-over

formatting link

BTW how many switches do you have in your network

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv.

Sorry for the dealy in replying - I though I had posted...

I have 2 cats on my local site, 2 on another, and 1 on a third. Unfortunately, they all fall under different financial control, with some being tighter that others!

Many thanks to everyone,

Pete.

Reply to
Imayroam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.