installing 2 supervisory engine in a Cat alyst 6509

We have a new Catalyst 6509 switch. It is running CatOS 8.3(4). It came with one 720 supervisory engine and is configured and running fine in slot 5. We ordered a 2nd 720 supervisory engine and attempted to install it hot in slot 6. The switch saw the new supervisory engine as primary and stopped passing traffic (I am assuming because it did not pick-up the config from the 1st supervisory engine before it went primary). Removing the new supervisory card returned the switch to it's previously functioning mode.

I have searched Cisco site and Google for instructions on how to properly install a 2 supervisory engine with no luck.

Does anyone have the correct procedure for this installation?

Thank in advance for any help you can offer.

Reply to
mail
Loading thread data ...

The hot inserted new SUP720 should have entered standby mode. The active should have copied software and configuration to standyb see

formatting link
Suggest you open a case with the Cisco TAC

Reply to
Merv

Hi

Had once the same situation with a Sup2. Two Sups with different major releases may block your backplane as both try to take over control. You will have to up-/down-grade the new Sup to the same major software release you are running on the already installed one. After that everything should work correctly and the newer Sup will adopt itself to the running configuration. Maybe you have a spare chassis for doing the upgrade. Otherwise you will have to run your system only with the new Sup, change the software, switch Sups, wait until Cat is up again and then insert the new Sup again back into its slot. But this would result in a longer network interruption.

Reply to
Roberto Giana

I found out recently that Cisco stopped supporting high availability versioning way back in the 6.x train because of compatability issues and that they say you cannot run a 6500 series with 2 Sup's at different versions.

I wish they'd fix it or come up with someth> Had once the same situation with a Sup2. Two Sups with different major

Reply to
ESM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.