cat 6509 monitoring to fluke

the environment is cisco 6509 with ios 12.1(26)E3 and "16 port 1000mb GBIC ethernet modules WS-X6416-GBIC" sw 8.5(0.9)TFW1 and a fluke optiview sniffer/monitor.

the fluke has a gui running on windows systems too. i have conneted fluke to Gi6/7. if i configure

monitor session 2 source vlan 1 monitor session 2 destination interface Gi6/7

i loose the connection from the gui to the fluke

is there a way to setup a monitor port which transport normal traffic too ?

this is the config of the if:

interface GigabitEthernet6/7 description fluke switchport switchport mode access no cdp enable spanning-tree portfast

best regards hans

Reply to
hans m41
Loading thread data ...

Hi Hans,

This may not help but I had a similar scenario I needed to resolve about 2-3 years ago. You don't say which model of Fluke you are using, however the Segment I was monitoring with our Fluke Optiview (which is based on an IBM Thinkpad) was outside a Firewall and was untrusted and I needed to access the Fluke from the trusted network. Changes to the Firewall were not possible at that time. In my case I was able to get permission to plug in a PCMCIA Ethernet card into the Fluke/IBM PCMCIA slot and configure that as a remote access interface, but it does depend on which model Fluke you are using if this is an option. We also had an issue regarding the Routing, but we were able to work around that one too.

Good luck..................................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Hi,

This may be version and platform dependant.

On some platforms the normal port ingress traffic is blocked when a port is a monitoring destination.

You probably need something like monitor session 2 destination interface Gi6/7 ingress vlan x

Where x is the normal vlan that the port belongs to.

The above assumes that destination the port is not a trunk port.

Goog luck.

Reply to
anybody43

hi peter

in the meantime i asked my reseller, but this fluke does not give the possibility the have a dedicated admin-port. it's not the intention of fluke, there is an other series of devices, which can do this, even this optiview is not so cheap with a price a little bit less then 30000 euro. ( 1 eur ~ 1,2 usd )

best regards hans

Reply to
hans m41

hi thanks for answer, but my switch doesn't give me this option.

ci1(config)#monitor session 2 destination interface Gi6/7 ? , Specify another range of interfaces - Specify a range of interfaces

and here the if-definition:

interface GigabitEthernet6/7 description fluke switchport switchport mode access no cdp enable spanning-tree portfast

best regards hans

Reply to
hans m41

Yes, the Fluke Optiview is not a cheap box. One other approach that is similar may be to use a PC with Dual NIC's and then run Ethereal to give pretty much the same type of solution. That just involves a little more work but I have found Ethereal to be quite useful, provided one has the H/W required available...........;-)

Good luck....................pk.

Reply to
Peter

hi peter

you are right. i use ethereal, too. in the solaris-world and in the windows-world. but this is only for packet analysing great. but monitoring over some hours or days the optiview is fine. for packet analysing i have a network analysing module ( nam ) in the cisco 6509 too. ( even with monitoring abilities )

best regards hans

Reply to
hans m41

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.