Port Usage Cat 6509

Hi.

I have a Cat 6509 with 9x48 port cards in it. Unfortunately when we do moves/changes around the building, not everyone unpatches at the cat when a port becomes free.

Is there anything i can use to check the last time a port was in use, to make sure i can unplug it?

I've looked in ciscoworks and solarwinds engineers toolkit, but i can't find anything...

Thanks

Pete.

Reply to
Imayroam
Loading thread data ...

On 19.09.2005 12:17 Imayroam wrote

Hmmm ... the C6509 only has 9 slots. How did you manage to put 9 48-port cards in :-)

Assuming that you are running CatOS (otherwise a "show interface" should do)

1. Do "clear counters x/y" ans look after the port some time later
  2. Run statistics (e.g MRTG or RTG) across the switch.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

:Is there anything i can use to check the last time a port was in use, :to make sure i can unplug it?

No. The closest you can get is to look at the SNMP entries for the last time the port state changed. And unfortunately on at least some devices (including a 7204VXR) the last-changed times appear to be more or less nonsense.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

If you are sysloging port ups, you could check out your log entries for that port. We use custom made SNMP scripts to record all that info.

Reply to
Barry Gross

if you need minimum one supervisor engine

Reply to
hans m41

Alt - there are some MIB interface bits which give you "time since last state change" (or there were on the IBM hubs i did this on a decade ago).

So you need an SNMP function that can see if the port is down, and hasnt been up for xxx days (i used 3 weeks to allow for holidays) - then the port is effectively not in use.

note the port for re-use.

if you are really paranoid, have the script turn it off so no one can reuse it without asking :)

Note - this isnt going to work if you reboot the boxes frequently, have unreliable power etc.

Reply to
stephen

In article , stephen wrote: :Alt - there are some MIB interface bits which give you "time since last :state change" (or there were on the IBM hubs i did this on a decade ago).

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifLastChange.*

Unfortunately on at least some of Cisco's devices, the values are unusuable.

pix up 70 days 6 hours interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifLastChange.1 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00 interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifLastChange.2 = Timeticks: (2189310656) 253 days,

9:25:06.56 interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifLastChange.3 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00 interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifLastChange.4 = Timeticks: (4052812544) 469 days, 1:48:45.44

So apparently our outside interface flapped right as I was asking the question, and our inside interface hasn't been down for 400 days longer than the last reboot...

The above is from a PIX, but I have seen nonsense values on a 7206VXR as well.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi all.

Thanks for all your replies.

You are all correct - it only has 7 line cards, and 2 sup's :)

I do syslog the Cat, but I can't see an easy way to determine which ports are in use/not - but i'll give it a go!

Thanks

Pete.

Reply to
Imayroam

On 20.09.2005 12:57 Imayroam wrote

As long as you do not use converters, your side will go down, if the other shuts down/disconnects.

Hence by looking at the state of the port and evaluating the syslog you could generate an own table giving exact status.

Combining with incoming traffic this should give you a fairly complete picture.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.