Hyperterm alternate?

The thread on "USB serial port" reminded me of a problem to which I have been searching for an answer: Is there an alternative to using that "wonderful" Microsoft Hyperterm?

Problem: Hyperterm doesn't seem to work properly (for me) on console connections when using Windows XP. When text scrolls (up) out of the "active window", it gets scrambled.

I thought it was because I was forced to use one of those USB/Serial dongles since laptops don't seem to come with serial ports (DB9) any more. However, at a client site, I noticed that an XP desktop with a genuine serial port was having the same problem.

Anyone experience this and 1) Have a work-around or 2) Know of a software replacement for Hyperterm that works?

TIA

Reply to
S. Gione
Loading thread data ...

Tons of options.

Nope, once the data is into the computer, how would it get scrambled if not for the app doing it?

My favorite on Windows is SecureCRT. It can do ssh and serial both. It costs some $$ though. But it just works, and it does it quite well.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I had the same problem for a while. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it. (I consider myself lucky if I can remember if I had breakfast this morning!) I think I downloaded the latest Hyperterminal Personal Edition and that fixed the scrambling issue.

Gordon Montgomery Living Scriptures, Inc snipped-for-privacy@lsi.com (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures) (801) 627-2000

Reply to
Gordon Montgomery

Tera Term, it hasn't been updated in quite some time but seems to work well every time.

Wil my 3¢

Reply to
Wil

I use Tera Term version 3.1.3.

Regards, Steve

formatting link

Reply to
www.networking-forum.com

I strongly second the motion for SecureCRT. I've been using it for years and love it. It's under active development too. Starting with v5.0 you can have tabbed terminal windows (like in Firefox or Mozilla). I organize my connection entries by folders named by customer. It's been a real life saver. It cost me $99 the first time and a lesser upgrade fee a coupel years later. The upgrades are free for minor releases (a couple years' worth of upgrades basically) and discounted for major releases (every couple of years). IIRC you get one year free of everything for sure. You can also use PuTTY. It's many times better than Hyperterminal, though not as good as SecureCRT IMHO.

J
Reply to
J

Thanks, guys.

TeraTerm seems to have solved my problem ... just a simple program to allow me to get into a router, firewall, switch, etc.

Reply to
S. Gione

Actually, TeraTerm is actively being worked on. The last release by this fellow is version 4.25. There is an English and a Japanese version.

formatting link
or

formatting link
There is a forum, and the authors are willing to work with you if you want features to appear in the next version.

Reply to
Derick Winkworth

Great news! I've been getting it from here for years:

formatting link
I will start following the new tree, thanks for the info

Also should note tha SecureCRT does kick butt as well.

Wil my 3¢

Reply to
Wil

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.