Windows Vista

I have heard that hyperterminal has been removed from Vista and Telnet is not installed by default.

Any ideas about setting up switches and routers by command line? I wonder if PuTTY does com ports?

Reply to
thcollicutt
Loading thread data ...

Just use TeraTerm instead...it has an SSH version as well:

formatting link
HTH,

Mike

Reply to
Mike W.

Just use TeraTerm instead...it has an SSH version as well:

formatting link
HTH,

Mike

Reply to
Mike W.

Thanks

Reply to
thcollicutt

The latest version of putty, 0.59, _does_ have com port support. But for me it wasn't very stable, so i switched back to TeraTerm for serial ports.

Regards, Markus

Reply to
Markus Marquardt

Unfortunately neither TeraTerm nor PuTTY will talk to serial ports numbered higher than 4 (i.e. COM1, COM2, COM3 and COM4 are your only options). I assume this is because these are the only numbers used by "real" RS232 serial ports.

I have a PC-Card GPRS modem that WinXP assigns to COM17. HyperTerminal is the only terminal emulator I know of that will talk to COM17.

Reply to
Ian Wilson

My favorite term emulator is SecureCRT. Its commercial software, but an excellent SSH client, as well as an excellent term emulator. It'll do COM17 no problem. USB to serial dongles work fine with it.

They have a free trial, and is fairly cheap for what it does right.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

This is not true. TeraTerm can be configured to talk to any COM port. There is a setting in its .ini file (don't have an installation handy right now to check what its name is) that specifies the maximum com port number that it recognizes. Just set this to whatever number you need.

Reply to
Blaz Zupan

Alas this also is not true.

Well, that provided me with a brief moment of excitement.

However changing MaxComPorts=4 to MaxComPorts=32 (or 17 or 20) only allowed me to select from COM1 through COM16. Not far enough to reach my COM17 :-(

Setting /c=17 on the command line (i.e. properties of a desktop icon) got me COM3!

Good tip though.

Reply to
Ian Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.