4006,GBIC,Router module, VLAN and bridging

How's that for a subject line?

Ok I've narrowed down my problem to this. I have Cisco Catalyst 4006 core switch with the layer 3 router module. The router module has 2 gigabit ethernet ports that I have linked up to 2 Catalyst 2000 series switches.

The goal was to be able to use the same vlans across the entire network but the router module treats vlans on it's interfaces has it's own. So they are isolated and not exactly the same as the rest. I want to get them all the same so that vlan 103 on the router module is recognized by the other switches not on the router module.

The GBIC ports work like this. G1 and G2 are the ports that you see, controlled by the router module (L3). G3 and G4 are also controlled by the router module but are the routers connection to the switch backplane. Ports 2/1 and 2/2 are the actually switchports the router ports connect to.

Currently the gbics are all set to bridge and are in the same bridge-group.

What I need to know is what should I be looking at to accomplish my goal?

Do I need to enable bridging on the 2/1 and 2/2 ports? Do I need etherchannel?

I thought that by bridging it would act like this:

Switch -> bridgegroup -> switch and that all vlans would work.

Reply to
formlessreflections
Loading thread data ...

What is your Supervisor and L3 Router modules models? Is it Sup2 + L3 card, or Sup4/5?

From what I remember about our scenario, the L3 card ports appear on the Sup2 module as a regular L2 ports, so, you should configure them as trunks on the Supervisor module. Then you have 4 ports, which go between Supervisor module and L3 module. You should configure them as trunks or as individual VLANs ports, and then create subinterfaces on the L3 module.

Good luck,

Mike

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Would this configuration require IP routing? I do not use IP routing currently at all. I am briding the G123 and 4 ports (router card internal, external) but if I trunk them, will they still pass broadcast info without Ip turned on?

Would 2 bridge-groups work?

Such as:

Bridge-group 1

2/1 -> G3G1 -> Switch

Bridge-group 2

2/2 -> G4 G2 -> switch Bridge

Bridging the router internal and external ports with a tunnel on 2/1 and the Switch gigabit.

headsetadapter.com wrote:

Reply to
formlessreflections

Would this configuration require IP routing? I do not use IP routing currently at all. I am briding the G123 and 4 ports (router card internal, external) but if I trunk them, will they still pass broadcast info without Ip turned on?

Would 2 bridge-groups work?

Such as:

Bridge-group 1

2/1 -> G3G1 -> Switch

Bridge-group 2

2/2 -> G4 G2 -> switch Bridge

Bridging the router internal and external ports with a tunnel on 2/1 and the Switch gigabit.

headsetadapter.com wrote:

Reply to
formlessreflections

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.