2 cisco catalyst 2900 connectec and 2 bridges connection.

Hi All,

I have 2 switches catalyst 2900 series, they are in some different locations. Theese locations are connected using radiolink. Unfortunetly this link is not stable so I would like to use second connection which will act like a backup for the first one.

I am currious if it is possible to connect theese 2 catalyst switches using in fact 2 bridges (radio links). I suppose I must turn on STP on each port (used by bridges), and set up different priority (in couples).

Am I right or maybe there is some other solution?

Regards, Jarek

Reply to
Jarek Jarzebowski
Loading thread data ...

Yes, STP is one way to set it up. But second link is not used when first one is available.

I *think* (I am newbie, so just from browsing manuals) that you can also combine multiple ports into a single trunk between switches, which gives you added speed between the switches. (but I guess would not provide redundancy in case one fails).

Perhaps an expert can confirm if this is possible.

Reply to
JF Mezei

Hi Jarek,

It all depends on how the current link ports are defined, some port config info might be useful... My preference would be to use standard trunk port settings, then just duplicate the trunks and things should automatically sort themselves out (assuming there is nothing special set on the existing setup). It could also be done using Access Ports, but Trunks would be better.

Using trunks there should be no need to fiddle with Priorities all traffic would be split equally, however one possible "gotcha" would be if the interface status for Radio link that went DOWN, did not change to DOWN on the Switch port. Thats the only way the switch can determine if the link is present or not. I also hope that your Radio bandwidth at least matches your LAN bandwidth...

Cheers................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.