routed interfaces

Hi there !

Just one question about interface modules. Consider something like a WIC-4ESW or NM-16ESW - can those interfaces be configured as real routed interfaces or just as switch ports? So what's the smallest router with at least 3 routed FE interfaces? If we leave out the desktop models, we could start at a 1760 or 1841 - but can the additional interfaces be used for routing? If not, the next option would be a 2800 (or a 2600XM if still available as new)?

TIA

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler
Loading thread data ...

Hi Frank,

I have barely any experience with smaller Cisco equipment, but based on an article I just looked up, I really can't tell if this will meet your requirements or not. The exact quote is:

"The WIC-4ESW interface card is a Layer 2 Ethernet switch with Layer 3 routing capability. (Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the host, and is not actually performed at the switch.) The ports autosense the speed (10 Mbps or 100 Mbps) and duplex mode (full- or half-duplex) of the device to which it is connected and then operates at the same speed and in the same duplex mode."

I'm guessing you can create VLANs on the router config side, and make those ports access ports, but it doesn't not sound like you can actually put a layer 3 IP on the interfaces itself. Here is the article for your review, hope it helps!

formatting link
Here is another sales page with more information:

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Hi,

"Frank Winkler" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

you can configure a port as a routed interface using "no switchport" interface command

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Thanks for the articles! It really sounds like it must be done with VLAN interfaces. But does this imply any functional disadvantage? Unfortunately, the integrated switch in the 1811/12 is L2 only cause otherwise, this could a ery elegant solution.

Regards

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

Cool! But I still can't assign a L3 IP address directly but have to go through VLANs?

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

... this could be a very elegant solution.

Or can someone with a 1800 series router please check if it's possible to route between two switch ports?

And ... if it is possible to to inter-VLAN routing with those switch ports (WIC-4ESW or 1800 integrated), what's the actual difference to a real L3 interface? The "show version" output also doesn't make one as they are just listed as "Fast Ethernet interfaces", summing up both types.

TIA

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

Hi,

"Frank Winkler" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

For clarity sake I was speaking about a 36xx with a NM-16ESW.

With that setup you can have either L2 ports (with a VLAN interfaces if you need them) or use one or more of these ports a L3 Interfaces ( thus using ip address ... as usual ).

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

messaggionews: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

I found the documents on this confusing too, so here is a "me too".

With the NM-16ESW (and others too) I have configured ports as L3 and as L2 with SVIs (Vlan interfaces).

e.g.

3845 with NM-16ESW

sh ip int br GigabitEthernet0/0 2.2.169.66 YES NVRAM up up GigabitEthernet0/1 1.1.1.25 YES manual up up FastEthernet1/2 1.1.1.10 YES NVRAM up up FastEthernet1/3 1.1.1.1 YES NVRAM up up

FastEthernet1/10 unassigned YES unset up up

Vlan1 1.1.1.1 YES NVRAM up up

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.