Tx IOS image between 2620's

Have two 2621's one is spare. The production is at 12.3 and the spare at

Is it possible to transfer and flash the 12.3 IOS image in the spare?

Reply to
Tom Linden
Loading thread data ...

Dnia Wed, 19 Sep 2007 06:36:55 -0700, Tom Linden napisa³(a):

Yes, it is possible but illegal.

Kyniu

Reply to
Kyniu

Why would that be illegal, I own them both.

Reply to
Tom Linden

Before you do anything make sure you back up the images from each router to a TFTP server

Lots of TFTP server software for a PC available.

Reply to
Merv

Thanks, I shall. But as far as transferring the IOS image and flashing, can you point me to a document or recipe for accomplishing this task?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Linden

Dnia Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:14:00 -0700, Tom Linden napisa³(a):

Because IOS is licensed software and you must have valid licence for each of them. If it is not clear I will give you an example - you have bought two computers with MS Windows - one with Windows 98 and one with Windows XP. Do you belive that you can copy Windows XP to both of them and that it will be legal? It won't be because you have only one licence for Windows XP. Is it clear now?

Kyniu

Reply to
Kyniu

Dnia Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:26:14 -0700, Tom Linden napisa³(a):

"copy flash:ios_file_name tftp:" to copy IOS from router to PC "copy tftp: flash:" to copy the file from PC to router

You can also copy IOS directly from one router to another but you will have to set up a TFTP server on the source router.

Kyniu

Reply to
Kyniu

I appreciate the point, although the analogy may not be valid. I have yet to see a license agreement that doesn't permit copying of the software for purposes of backup, which is essentially what I am trying to do. The spare is my backup, and it isn't even powered up. I have not read the Cisco license agreement, I bought the spare off of ebay, and I presume the license transfers with the unit.

So tell me please how do I transfer and flash the IOS from on to the other?

Reply to
Tom Linden

for upgrade procedure start with

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

I have seen many license agreements which do -not- permit the copying of the relevant software for any purpose (including backup.) At that point, whether you are allowed to make a copy of the software would depend upon the detailed wording of the copyright laws in your jurisdiction.

For example, in Canada, the relevant law would be section 30.6 of The Copyright Act,

formatting link
30.6 It is not an infringement of copyright in a computer program for a person who owns a copy of the computer program that is authorized by the owner of the copyright to

(b) make a single reproduction for backup purposes of the copy or of a reproduced copy referred to in paragraph (a) if the person proves that the reproduction for backup purposes is destroyed immediately when the person ceases to be the owner of the copy of the computer program.

The 2620 does not have a tftp *server*, so you would have to copy the software to an intermediate location. That intermediate location would be your one copy, and having made that intermediate copy you would not then be allowed to copy it to the spare 2620, as that would result in *two* copies, even if only for a moment.

Bad assumption. The license does NOT transfer with the unit. You have no legal right to use IOS on the spare 2620 -- and I doubt courts would accept the argument that the spare 2620 actually running IOS (when the "non-spare" went down) was just a "backup". Cisco licences rights to run on chassises, not rights to run on whatever chassis you might have lying around.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

So if I buy a router from someone who has a valid license, is there a =

procedure for transferring the license?

Reply to
Tom Linden

Yes, Cisco has a "relicensing procedure".

formatting link
Note this part:

Cisco will only sell licenses for current versions of software. This means that to use Cisco software in conjunction with the equipment to be transferred, a license for the current version must be purchased (customers will have to pay for the cost of the CD separately).

Although not stated there, a side effect of this is that you cannot relicense equipment that is sufficiently old, if the product has gone EOS (end of sale) and there -is- no "current software version" for it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Could use some help here. I want to transfer Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 16178820 c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-9.bin

this image from a 12.3(9) system to another 2621 running 12.0(28a) csco# dir /all Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 6316872 Aug 26 2004 17:46:44 [c2600-js-mz.120-28a.bin] 16777216 bytes total (10460280 bytes free)

so I will first need to delete that image. couldn't set up the tftp server on the 12.3 system CISCO2(config)#tftp flash: 1 Specify the filename.

Once that hurdle is cleared then How do I fetch it from the other router?

TIA Tom

Reply to
Tom Linden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.