req adv: setting cisco 350 AP as repeater

Please bear with me as I'm a beginner to Cisco AP's. I want to set up a Cisco 350 access point so that it acts as a wireless stepping stone to another wireless router . Is this possible? I want wireless laptop A to connect wirelessly to Cisco 350 AP 'B' which then connects wirelessly to router C and allows the laptop to surf the internet. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

see Cisco doc "Configuring Repeater and Standby Access Points and Workgroup Bridge Mode"

formatting link
Assuming the 350 has been upgraded to run IOS, you need to configure "station-role repeater" on the radio interface of the Cisco 350

Be aware that using a repeater will cut the wireless throughput.

Can you provide some additional info on why a repeater is required ?

How far away from the router C is laptop A and what is in the path between the two - i.e. walls, etc ?

What is the model of the wireless router C and what IOS version is it running ?

What version of software is currently loaded onto the 350 AP ?

Reply to
Merv

formatting link
Interesting link. One thing that jumps out at me is:

Repeater access points do not support wireless domain services (WDS). Do not configure a repeater access point as a WDS candidate, and do not configure a WDS access point to fall back to repeater mode in case of Ethernet failure.

So it's just a layer2 bridge then?

Indeed. You might try with WDS as well to see if that works any better. Or some sort of mesh system if the AP supports any. I would imagine that would work the best.

Also what kind of walls. Internal? External? Multiple story house? Orientation of the access point?

Right. Reading the original message it doesn't appear you ever define what the type/model of the second AP is. From the link that Merv supplied:

Repeater access points running Cisco IOS software cannot associate to parent access points that that do not run Cisco IOS software.

Excellent questions. Also what kind of antennas (if the 350 antennas can be replaced with higher gain ones).

Reply to
Charles N Wyble

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.