2611 flash issue..please help ASAP

Hi everyone the issue I am having with this one 2611 is that when it first came in this is the message I have gotten.

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

open: file "n" not found open(): Open Error = -1 loadprog: error - on file open boot: cannot load "flash:n"

This made me think that the previous IOS was corrupt or missing but when I did a dir flash: commmand it showed the flash name and everything.

rommon 1 > dir flash: File size Checksum File name 5426208 bytes (0x52cc20) 0x1ad4 c2600-i-mz.122-12a.bin

I resinstalled a new IOS twice so far and what happens is it brings me into a configuration mode of 0x102. It has a password which is weird because it should not have one. When I try to recover password using confreg 0x2142 this is the message that I get.

oh01rtr4>confreg 0x2142 Translating "confreg"...domain server (172.17.16.120)

Most commands do not work and will do the same. show ver does work and this is the version.

oh01rtr4>show version Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(12a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Tue 24-Sep-02 01:05 by pwade Image text-base: 0x8000808C, data-base: 0x809E1544

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

oh01rtr4 uptime is 1 minute System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-12a.bin"

cisco 2611 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x203) with 24576K/8192K bytes of memory . Processor board ID JAD05290XXG (762432776) M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x102

oh01rtr4>

I have no idea what else I could do to this thing. If anyone has any ideas please share.

Thank You

Sincerely Sam

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

Sam,

You are trying to set the configuration register from un-privileged mode, you cannot do that. You need to force a break on the boot up while connected via console and set it there. Then reload and the router will boot without reading the start up config. You can then enable and merge the start-up conf with running conf. Like So.....

Connect via console and pwr the router up

Hit the break key within 60 seconds of the power-up to put the router into ROMMON It will look like

ROMMON1>

Type confreg 0x2142 the prompt will change to ROMMON2>

Type reset

Once it reloads you need to answer "no" to the question above configuring initial set up

Once you get to the Router> prompt type enable and you should end up with

Router#

You are now past the point where you need the password. You should now type " copy start run" and you will have the original config back. From here you should type "conf t" and set the enable password to whatever you like. You must then from the enable prompt type "conf t" and then config-register

0x2102

Of course if you just want a clean router you could do the opposite and write mem without copying the start up config. This will in effect give you a factory clean router.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Roberts

Sam, Forgot to mention, the reason you get the below....

Is because confreg is a privileged command, hence not recognized at that level. Because it is an unknown command the router thinks you are trying to connect to a host called "confreg" and attempts to resolve the name via DNS.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Roberts

formatting link

Reply to
Slawomir Kawala

I tried the whole confreg even while it was booting up. it comes up with the same cannot open flash n messaage. I am starting to think its the hardware itself. i tried putting in the flash from a working unit and it would not load the flash correctly.

Reply to
Sam

This tells us that there is a boot statement and the router is trying to boot from flash:n

Go do password recovery, and once you've done that, jump into global config and do:

Router(config)#no boot system This clears out your boot statement. Now do: Router(config)#boot system flash:

Save your config and its fixed. Technically, you don't *need* the last statement, but I use it for good measure.

--William

Reply to
William McCall

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.