Gathering chassis ID through SNMP for 837.

Hi all,

I found that .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.3.6.3 is the MIB for chassis-ID of Cisco's routers. It seems not to work. Is the MIB correct?

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Hi Alex,

snmp-server chassis-id

To provide a message line identifying the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) server serial number, use the snmp-server chassis-id command in global configuration mode. To restore the default value, if any, use the no form of this command.

snmp-server chassis-id text

no snmp-server chassis-id

Syntax Description

text - Message you want to enter to identify the chassis serial number.

Defaults

On hardware platforms where the serial number can be machine read, the default is the serial number. For example, a Cisco 7000 router has a default chassis-id value of its serial number.

Command Modes Global configuration

Command History Release Modification

10.0 - This command was introduced.

Usage Guidelines

The Cisco MIB provides a chassis MIB variable that enables the SNMP manager to gather data on system card descriptions, chassis type, chassis hardware version, chassis ID string, software version of ROM monitor, software version of system image in ROM, bytes of processor RAM installed, bytes of NVRAM installed, bytes of NVRAM in use, current configuration register setting, and the value of the configuration register at the next reload. The following installed card information is provided: type of card, serial number, hardware version, software version, and chassis slot number.

The chassis ID message can be seen with the show snmp command.

Examples

In the following example, the chassis serial number specified is

1234456:

Router(config)# snmp-server chassis-id 1234456

Related Commands Command Description show snmp - Checks the status of SNMP communications.

--------------------------------------------------

Product Name: Cisco 837 ADSL Broadband Router

Serial Number Format: 11 characters (xxxnnnnxxxx)

Serial Number Location: Chassis Input/Output (I/O) side, right edge

Cisco Product Identification Tool:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cisco Unique Device Identifier Retrieval:

formatting link
Brad Reese
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi BradReese,

I only wanted to know whether the MIB I knew was correct or know. I searched for MIB about chassid-ID but on Cisco's site I couldn't download *.my file about chassis-ID. and moreover I got this message from NetSNMP when I tried to gather information on that MIB

C:\\>snmpget -c campagnolo -v 1 10.132.130.254 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.3.6.3 Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.3.6.3

Alex

Reply to
AM

This is a simple object, so you should attach a .0 to it (or use snmpwalk):

$ snmpwalk c4500 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.3.6.3 SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.3.6.3.0 = STRING: "FOX0637S0BU"

/Niels

Reply to
Niels Baggesen

Great! My start on SNMP's field is better now ;) Thanks, Alex.

Reply to
AM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.