CISCO 3640 not showing all DRAM

So, I have a 3640 router with 4x sticks of 32MB-dual SIMM. When I do a show mem, it only shows 96MB of RAM...

CISCO has a page, where it tells you to type: show mem and then type the first number seen there into this form and it tells you what RAM config you are using. THAT shows 32MB-dual in each slot, thus 128MB.

So... Where is my memory?

--Scott

Reply to
darktiger
Loading thread data ...

Scott,

You may wish to investigate Upgrading System Memory in Cisco 3600 Series Routers:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Okay, so I see this memory-size iomem command -- so that is where it is going. 32MB are in the I/O mem section and 96 in the Processor section.

That is 25%, would reducing a little make a large difference in preformance? I am not running 100Mbps Internet through it ... Just

5Mbps burstable ...
Reply to
darktiger

Hi Scott,

I guess the real question is "What is the issue that you think you see?". Your original post doesn't talk about any actual "problem", just a question regarding how something is being reported by the Router.

If the Router is low on "free" memory (post the first few lines of header info from a 'sh mem') then yes, reducing I/O memory may help somewhat, but if thats not the "problem" then it will have no affect at all and in fact may make things worse.

If you make extensive use of ACL's or some other processor intensive operation (like CEF not being enabled) then you could be seeing a simple processor overload issue (post the header output from a 'sh proc cpu') so these types of commands are likely to give you a few clues.

Cheers...............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Hi,

As Peter indicated the router either has enough memory for some purpose or it doesn't.

If it runs out of memory you get log messages about it unless you have turned them off, and it will most likely stop working in some respect or other.

If you have enough, adding more will result in you having more than enough. This is a waste of money unless of course you need to have some "upgrade" room.

One thing to watch out for is memory fragmentation. Smallest should usually not be much lower than Lowest. I have seem memory allocation failure messages when Smallest gets below about 150k.

Routers with crypto and Inspect do seem to fragment the memory more than other IOS that I have seen. I guess it's the Inspect.

I have changed the I/O % benificially (i.e got a router to boot that otherwise wouldn't) however you NEED to make sure that you will not run out of IO memory. I guess it won't boot if it does. I suspect that it is statically allocated on boot to the interfaces and so NEVER changes for a particular configuration.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.