Most updated IOS for an 837.

Hi all,

it should work with the only 48 Megs of RAM the router has. Which is the most updated that fits well on my router?

Thanks,

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

it should work with the only 48 Megs of RAM the router has. Which is the most updated that fits well on my router? New versions require 64 Megs of RAM. The router will be used in production mode, therefore I don't want to put the newest release even if there are no problems in doing that.

Thanks,

Alex.

Reply to
AM

~ Hi all, ~ ~ it should work with the only 48 Megs of RAM the router has. ~ Which is the most updated that fits well on my router? ~ New versions require 64 Megs of RAM. ~ The router will be used in production mode, therefore I don't want to put the newest release even if there are no ~ problems in doing that. ~ ~ Thanks, ~ ~ Alex.

It occurs to me that it would be nice if CCO IOS Software Center worked like this:

What is your router? => 837 How much DRAM do you have? => 48MB How much flash do you have? => [whatever]

These are the versions/images that will fit in it

Rather than its present scheme of trying to make you pick among various 12.* versions of IOS, before you even enter what your platform is. And then you actually have to drill into the info for each individual image, before you can tell whether any of them will fit.

Does anyone else concur?

Anyway ... the following would be likely candidates for a 48MB 837:

12.3(7)T12 12.3(8)T11 12.3(11)T10

12.3(14)T hence 12.4 are too big to fit into 48Mb 830s.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Nah... that would be entirely too logical for a Cisco web page :-)

Reply to
Rod Dorman

newest release even if there are no

I like using Feature Navigator better than Upgrade Advisor, because you can select the platform first. Still doesn't solve the issue about putting in the flash/dram requirements, you still have to drill down to a specific release to find that, so it takes some knowledge of each platform and release schedules... At least 3rd party memory has got fairly cheap for most of these small routers.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi Aaron,

While your suggestion is perfectly logical, that doesn't allow Cisco the opportunity of selling something the customer probably can't use.........;-)

Chees..................pk.

Reply to
Peter

newest release even if there are no

I too have been wondering this. I'm currently using 12.3(8)T4, and I too would like the latest release (e.g. 12.3(11)T10, as I too have a

48MB 837.

How can I go about getting this version of the IOS? I don't have a Cisco login as I bought it second-hand.

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Willsher

I am sure that would help a lot of people. Even costomers with plenty of money will often not want to embark on a hardware change with all that is implicated there.

Ideally those fields could have a don't care option which would result in the present behaviour.

Since I am on the subject the IOS Software Centre is now pretty slow to use which makes the present drill-drill-drill behaviour even more irritating. I am in London so maybe it's a RTT thing but we have a 100M internet link.

Pinging

formatting link
[198.133.219.25] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 198.133.219.25: bytes=32 time=147ms TTL=106

Reply to
anybody43

I am sure that would help a lot of people. Even costomers with plenty of money will often not want to embark on a hardware change with all that is implicated there.

Ideally those fields could have a don't care option which would result in the present behaviour.

Since I am on the subject the IOS Software Centre is now pretty slow to use which makes the present drill-drill-drill behaviour even more irritating. I am in London so maybe it's a RTT thing but we have a 100M internet link.

Pinging

formatting link
[198.133.219.25] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 198.133.219.25: bytes=32 time=147ms TTL=106

Reply to
anybody43

Your posting headers suggest that you are in the UK. As far as I have heard, UK law does not override the Cisco license. If that is correct, then you do not have a legal right to run your existing IOS on that device. If you go through the proper forms and "relicense" the device, then you go legit and become eligable to sign up for support contracts. For more information, search cisco's site for "relicensing".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Yeah, but surely going from 12.3(8)T4 to a later 12.3 release is just the same principle as applying a Windows Service Pack, e.g. just bug fixes?

Reply to
Jim Willsher

Just within the last couple of weeks, Microsoft announced that bug fixes will no longer be provided to systems that do not pass the Windows Genuine Advantage test.

And even if they had not, I fail to catch your point. If you do not have a legal license to run your device {because you got it used} then you wouldn't have a legal license to run the later release either.

Also, if you investigate how Cisco numbers their releases, you would find that new features may be introduced in an increment of the subrelease -- e.g., 12.3(9) {if it exists} may have features that 12.3(8) does not have. Pure bug fixes are denoted by incrementing the release postfix, such as 12.3(8)T5 being a bugfix to 12.3(8)T4.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ok, I guess I'll just have to leave this one.

I'm used to dealing with LinkSys, NetGear and DrayTek ADSL routers, and I download firmware releases for their kit as a matter of routine. They also contain new fixes, and their firmware is free and publicly available (on the basis that you've bought the hardware).

Strange situation with Cisco I guess. Especially with LinkSys, which is a division of Cisco, and who also make firmware freely available.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Willsher

Linksys handles it by upgrading their model version and then dropping support on the previous model. For example, there are no new software releases for my BEFVP41 because it is v2 (version 2) and they've gone to at least v4 -- but still call them BEFVP41. Support costs are much much lower if you only have to support one fixed configuration of hardware per model, and only for at most

18 months.

Historically, Cisco made new releases available free for CatOS switches, but not IOS. I'm not sure if even the CatOS releases can be dug out now.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I found a way to accomplish the goal.

Go to the Cisco Feature Navigator

formatting link
Requires CCO login Choose "Search by image" and then your platform Choose the "major release": 12.3 - 12.4 and so on Choose all releases in the field "release" Choose "All Feature Sets".

I did it for a 3620 and effectively Cisco erports the IOS image name with the RAM/flash required.

HTH

Alex

Reply to
AM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.