Copying running-config(RAM) to FlashROM and an IOS question..

Hi,

Can I copy the running-configuration or startup-configuration into the FlashROM without disturbing the IOS? (#copy run flash) Will I pose any problems if I do so? I have enough space in Flash to hold the config files. I want to do this to temporarily save the config while I write my own config (in case of unavailability of TFTP server). This is not a production system Router that I am talking about. Its just a Lab Router. After doing it so, what filename whould I see in the Flash filesystem?

Also, one of my seniors adviced me against experimenting with the IOS in FlashROM. What I want to do is remove (by first backingup) the IOS image and then load another (yes, compatible) or the same IOS image in the Flash. What he said was that they never did anything to Flash as it (IOS) easily gets corrupted. While I think, it shouldn't be so - because its Cisco. Is he correct? Or should I try it out (safely with Documentation in hand)? He says, if it gets corrupted, then thats a matter of $bucks (100,000 in INR - Cisco 2501's price when last available).

Routers avilable: Cisco 801, 2501 x 2

Thanks in adv,

Uday.

Reply to
Uday
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for that.

And this too.

And what if I want to delete only the config file in flash (without erasing the flash i.e. while keeping the IOS untouched)?

What does the config filename default to? Or does the command prompt for the filename?

Reply to
Uday

Hi,

To delete a file on the flash filesystem called "testfile.txt" you will do: "delete flash:testfile.txt"

When you invoke "copy run flash" it will ask you for a filename or present you with the default which most likely will be "hostname-config" at the prompt. Which you can always give a better name as in date stamp or something.

Rob

Reply to
RobO

IIRC above is correct - for many platforms.

Some low end platforms (e.g 2500?) only allow one file at a time in a flash partition.

Reply to
anybody43

Thanks Rob again.

And yes, before I could ask, Mr. Anybody43 genuinely pointed it out. As I said, I have the older series of Cisco Routers (2500 and 800). And on the 2522, while trying the "copy run flash" ios command, it prompted me with a warning message which seemed to say that the process would directly overwrite the flash with the running config, thus erasing the IOS image.

While I don't have access to that Router now, I'll do post its output (for future ref).

And if the above point is correct (2500 allows only one file/flash), that raises another question. The Router is managed by the IOS. And natuarally, I think that the IOS should define the filesystem structure - and so also the number of files in the filesystem (the FAT entries for flashfs). The Cisco 2500 router that I worked on, has Cisco IOS version 12.2 and, I think its a fairly recent version and should support multiple files in the flash.

Or is the problem related to the runtime location of the IOS? Because in C2500 the IOS runs from the flash itself, that might be the only thing to be in the flash that the Bootstrap loader expects?

I am new to Cisco, so please point mistakes if any. Thanks, Uday.

Reply to
Uday

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.