Extreme Newby question

I am just starting out with Cisco and I was lucky enough to get my employer to let me borrow two 2950 switches and a 2820 switch. I have no idea what I need to do to get these things up and running. When I connect to the switch it goes to the switch: prompt and I enter "?" and get the following:

switch: ? ? -- Present list of available commands boot -- Load and boot an executable image cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s) copy -- Copy a file delete -- Delete file(s) dir -- List files in directories flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s) format -- Format a filesystem fsck -- Check filesystem consistency help -- Present list of available commands load_helper -- Load and initialize a helper image memory -- Present memory heap utilization information mkdir -- Create dir(s) more -- Concatenate (display) file(s) rename -- Rename a file reset -- Reset the system rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s) set -- Set or display environment variables set_param -- Set system parameters in flash trap -- Cause a software breakpoint to occur type -- Concatenate (type) file(s) unset -- Unset one or more environment variables -- MORE -- version -- Display boot loader version switch:

When I enter "dir" I get the following: switch: dir

List of filesystems currently registered:

flash[0]: (read-write) xmodem[1]: (read-only) null[2]: (read-write) bs[3]: (read-only)

switch:

can anyone tell me what I need to do next (other than read as many books as possible, which I'm doing as well)

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Mat
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
is what you are looking for. Also go through the TAC recommendations and practice them on your switches.
formatting link
Welcome :-)

Reply to
Leonid S. Knyshov

From what you are describing, you next need to type "enable" but all that is going to do is give you another command prompt. The CLI is not going to help you at all, you have to already know what you want to do, and how to do it.

I would suggest cracking open one of those books...

Rob.

Reply to
Rob

No,

He needs a "boot" of some sort, before an enable. And wasn't there a CatOS version of the 2820? So there may not even be an enable.

Is this an old Catalyst 2820 switch, or a new Cisco 2821 ISR router? If its a switch, put it to one side and don't bother with it too much. Spend your time on the 2950s as they're current. If its a router. Lucky boy. Fun to play with.

Some more direct links:

Cat 2820s:

formatting link
What do you actually want to achieve with these toys? What non-cisco experience to you have?

Reply to
yamahasw40

I have about 10 years IT experience, MS server/desktop support. I also have Server+ and Network+ certs. Right now I'd just like to get these up and running to use on my lab network.

Thanks, Mat

Reply to
Mat

can anyone tell me what this is saying?

C2950 Boot Loader (C2950-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(6)EA2c, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Compiled Thu 28-Feb-02 14:59 by antonino WS-C2950-24 starting... WS-C2950-24 starting... Xmodem file system is available. Initializing Flash... flashfs[0]: 2 files, 1 directories flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 7741440 flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 2776576 flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 4964864 flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 6 seconds. ...done initializing flash. Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3 Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4 Loading "c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin"...c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin: per mission denied

Error loading "c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process. Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT environment variable needs to be set to a bootable image.

switch:

Reply to
Mat

Why would I get a "permission denied" error on this?

switch: boot c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-6.EA2.bin Loading "c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-6.EA2.bin"...c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-6.EA2.bin: permiss ion denied

Error loading "c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-6.EA2.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process. Boot process failed... switch: dir

List of filesystems currently registered:

flash[0]: (read-write) xmodem[1]: (read-only) null[2]: (read-write) bs[3]: (read-only)

"c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin"...c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin:

Reply to
Mat

the 'set' command will show you some environment variables, BOOT being one of them.

i think that the ios-image is either missing or of a different filename.

try a 'dir flash:' to find out what image is available and use a 'set' command to point the bootvariable to the hopefully existing ios.

finish this by issuing the 'set_param' command to make the change permanent. if the flash is empty, go ahead and check

formatting link
and upload the image via xmodem.

cheers

Mat wrote:

Reply to
Sven Juergensen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.