flash to tftp problems

Hi guys,

Quick and probably easy question... I with to upgrade one of my IOS from 12.1.19 to 12.2.25. Before I do that, I want to backup my current config. Here is a screen shot of what I get when I try to copy from flash to tftp.

3750#copy flash tftp Source filename [c3750-i5-mz.121-19.EA1c]? Address or name of remote host []? 192.x.x.x Destination filename [c3750-i5-mz.121-19.EA1c]? %Error reading flash:/c3750-i5-mz.121-19.EA1c (Is a directory) 3750#

it is a directory but I'm not sure how to copy the entire contents of the flash or at least the directory to the tftp server. there has to be a better way then than copying files one by one.

The tftp server is up and functioning. I was able to copy my startup config successful.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Ned

Reply to
Ned-200
Loading thread data ...

Hi Ned,

You may wish to investigate Working with the Cisco IOS File System, Configuration Files, and Software Images:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Salary and Compensation Rates
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Your router will have an image file that it has loaded and is running and may have other files.

The other files are typically for SDM (web based management tool) and possibly other images that are not in use and other files for example config files.

In some routers the images are put in a sub directory.

cd sub-dir ! repeat as needed copy tftp flash

Check out the archive command (IIRC) I have never used it.

If you are no tusing SDM then all you need is tha current image. sh ver display the name of the current image.

On boot, if an image is not specified the router does a depth first search of the file system(s). SO an image in a sub-dir gets used beore one in the top level dir.

As Brad says have a read.

Reply to
Bod43

You say you want to backup the config, yet you are trying to backup the software image.... The config is stored in "config.text". If your intent is to have a backup copy in case the new image doesn't load, coping it to your TFTP server isn't the way to go. Download the image tar file from Cisco and copy that to your tftp server. You can only copy one file at a time from the flash which is very tedious and slow, and very easy to miss one of the files. The flash on a 3750 will hold multiple images. Delete the any other image directories (to free up space) and then copy the new IOS image on to the device. That way if your run into problems you still have a working image on the flash and can still boot the device. If you delete it and the new image doesn't boot for some reason, you will need to copy it to the flash via your console connection and xmodem, which is VERY, VERY, VERY slow.

Scott

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.