Cisco TAC

Is it just me or is Cisco TAC becoming like the "Gestapo" to work with? I use to be able call in and get an answer to a question but now, I have to have service contract on each and every piece of hardware I own and answer

10-15 questions about it before they will help me. It's like working with the youth for Hitler. Anyone else notice this?
Reply to
Mr. Nobody
Loading thread data ...

If you don't pay them for service, why should they spend their time and efforts to help you?

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

It's kind of a moot point when you have 30 contracts with them.

Reply to
Mr. Nobody

Wait until you approach TAC with a complex case, especially if you get handed off to India. I miss the "old" Cisco (circa 1995) when getting qualified people at TAC was the norm. Their reputation was stellar. Cisco as a company is (IMHO) in a state of decline. Their 10 miles wide and 1 inch deep in their approach to solutions. They're trying to be everything to everyone. You're success rate with TAC diminishes proportionately with the complexity level of your need. You'll have a case open for days if you need something beyond level 1.

Good luck, and consider best of breed products.

Mr. Nobody wrote:

Reply to
fugettaboutit

Wish I could say "i have only opened small cases". Most all my cases were complex. I seem to get excellent support from the Mexico division. Outstanding folks there. When I do get handed off to India it can be a bit dissappointing, but the case does get resolved.

GNY

Reply to
GNY

Nemo scripsit:

Wow, Godwin's-Law-In-One.

EOT

Reply to
Tilman Schmidt

I've had a hit or miss deal with TAC. If I come to them with a general problem, I get the script answers and the new guy in training. If I come to them with a lot of detail I get great help and they stick me in with the actual engineers. But mostly I have noticed a real lack in TAC is when you have to re-queue your case because of time. I know it takes a bit of time for engineers to catch up on a case, but two days response time is just not cool.

Overall TAC has been great, but it's how you approach them. Also it helps to hit the Foxborough, MA and the Sydney, AU centers for VoIP and the San Jose, CA center for Security.

Take care and happy geeking.

Chris.

Reply to
Synth42

I tell you. It's been rather crappy lately. My last few calls to TAC have dealt with IPSEC VPNs on IOS using VTIs. These tickets went on for weeks. Quite sad really.

BT

NNNN

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

I am getting bad results like yours with just about everything. We have a diverse Cisco shop with R&S, security and VoIP. I called our rep and he rudely told me that I needed to spend more time with the field offices than with TAC. I posted the message to see what others are getting because I thought it was just me and a local group that converse with but it seems Cisco is going the way that 3Com did with their after sales support. I don't like experince it but that's life.

There's no reason to pay for a premium price for bad post sales support. Jokingly I guess I can say that Chamber's need to re-think about getting a new Porsche every year and consdier the long-term. Honestly I am saying someone needs to wake up a little.

Thank you to everyone that posted. I know it sounds like sour-grapes or airing your dirtly laundry but from a business standpoint I cannot figure out why Cisco is all of sudden trying to smash down on small business. Just chrisma I guess.

Reply to
Mr. Nobody

As with you, it's not my intention to be so negative. I'm frustrated as an end user because I remember how it "used to be" with TAC, and Cisco as a whole. Now, they're just a bunch of arrogant, pompous folk who belittle any decisions to deviate from their solutions. Why should I pay a premium for (often) lacking support for equipment that's way overpriced to begin with? Cisco makes some great stuff, but their downward spiral combined with increasing arrogance isn't justified. If history is any teacher, it'll be interesting to see who knocks them off their ivory tower. To their credit, Cisco does offer quite a product selection and that in itself makes choosing other options an interesting endeavor. However, the unique challenge of a heterogeneous, multi-vendor environment is becoming much more attractive than the theoretical "one throat to choke". Besides, we all know the arguments about vendor lock-in and such.

Maybe there will be no nimble upstart that'll dethrone them, and perhaps their own arrogance and attitude will do the job instead. Then again, maybe if enough of us disillusioned network engineers seriously evaluate and implement other non-Cisco solutions, that'll be their wake-up call. They have forgotten what got them to the top of their game.

Mr. Nobody wrote:

Reply to
fugettaboutit

You know, out of my London and Singapore data centers and offices, we have Cisco support directly through an authorized VAR. The VAR out of London has been stellar the few times we've had to use them. I'm not certain about the Singapore VAR (Fujitsu), but one of my engineers there has said good things about them in the past.

I wonder if this is the way to go for support in the future. I know it can be hit or miss with VARs, but my last few support experiences with Cisco make me wonder. The sad thing is, my office is right down the street from their corporate headquarters in San Jose.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

I have had problems with VAR's from the viewpoint they send out their least experienced person to learn on your money so to speak. After that I see myself almost with needing shield to keep their sales people out with all of the high pressue phone calls and email saying, "Buy something from me becuase I work on commission only." I am sure the are nice people but when you are almost starving because you don't make much money they'll do anything to get in the door.

I just had another bad experience with TAC today. No help, no apology for not helping and no real excuses for not trying. All TAC tech wanted to do was to close the case.

Me

Reply to
Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody,

Please unicast me the case ID and I will follow up with the assigned TAC manager.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.