Cisco Pix 520(?) break character / sequence

Ok here's the problem. I'm running Pix version 6.3.5, and am trying to upgrade to 7.0.4. When I copy from tftp to flash, it gives me an error about not having enough space in flash. Fine. Looked up the error on Google, Cisco says I have to get to monitor mode by hitting a break sequence before it boots. I should be seeing something like this on a reboot:

Rebooting.... Cisco Secure PIX Firewall BIOS (4.0) #0:Thu Mar 2 22:59:20 PST 2000 Platform PIX-515 Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300 Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot. Use SPACE to begin flash boot immediately.

But it never asks me to hit a key like it does above, as described at

formatting link
So, I tried every key combination I can think of, and a few console programs, and I can't seem to get the correct break sequence on this PIX. All I'm trying to do is upgrade to 7.0! Any ideas?? Thank you all!

Blaze King snipped-for-privacy@lake-coe.k.ca.us

Reply to
blazeking
Loading thread data ...

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

formatting link
So, I tried every key combination I can think of, and a few console

A good idea is to read the entire document before starting. From the document you are linking to: "The security appliance Version 7.0 runs on PIX 515/515E, PIX 525, and PIX

535, but is not supported on the PIX 501 or PIX 506/506E platforms at this time. "
Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Yeah, I saw that, but (I thought) that was because of memory constraints. The minimum amount of flash memory is met with my PIX, and it even has the workaround for the flash size problem... But to complete that workaround I have to enter the break sequence, which just wasn't working. I tried with my laptop, with the built-in keyboard. I'll try a different computer with a standard keyboard, maybe the key mapping was a problem.

Blaze King snipped-for-privacy@lake-coe.k.ca.us

Reply to
blazeking
7.0 isn't supported on the 520.
Reply to
Mark Turpin

Are you sure about that? I thought 7.0 and newer worked just fine on the 520. I'm trying to contact Cisco right now to confirm that, but I am hoping that you're wrong! Cause if you're right that means a big new purchase. I'll post the answer back when I get one. Thank you so far everyone!

Reply to
blazeking

In article , wrote: :Are you sure about that? I thought 7.0 and newer worked just fine on :the 520.

No, the 520 is EOS, and will never be supported in 7.0.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.