restricted/unrestricted license in PIX 6.1

hi, i have a customer with Cisco PIX 6.1(4). he wants to upgrade to 7.0 i need to find out the type of license he has to find out how much memory he needs

when he sends me the output of "show version", i don't get the type of license, (as in 6.3 e.g. : "This PIX has a Restricted (R) license".)

this is all I get: cisco-pix> sh ver

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.1(4)

Compiled on Tue 21-May-02 08:40 by morlee

cisco-pix up 28 days 2 hours

Hardware: PIX-515, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 200 MHz Flash i28F640J5 @ 0x300, 16MB BIOS Flash AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

0: ethernet0: address is 0004.9ad0.cd08, irq 11 1: ethernet1: address is 0004.9ad0.cd09, irq 10 2: ethernet2: address is 0002.b346.3739, irq 7

Licensed Features: Failover: Disabled VPN-DES: Enabled VPN-3DES: Disabled Maximum Interfaces: 3 Cut-through Proxy: Enabled Guards: Enabled Websense: Enabled Inside Hosts: Unlimited Throughput: Unlimited ISAKMP peers: Unlimited

Serial Number: xxx Activation Key: xxx

is there another command in 6.1 to find out what type of license I have ?

cheers, S

Reply to
sillymartin
Loading thread data ...

You might want to issue the

reload command

formatting link
and then execute the

show version command

formatting link
once more.

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese Cisco Repair

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

It tells you max interfaces are 3, right off the bat that means 515R. You have enough flash (16M) but you need to upgrade the DRAM. Minimum is 64 for the R model to run v7, you have 32M.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Brian V schrieb:

cool, thanks a lot do i need cisco DRAM or any with the right specs?

btw: what costs are involved as far as software? let's just say the customer has the 702.bin file, is there any license fees to be paid to cisco? and what about the activation key? is that lost after the upgrade?

thanks, S

Reply to
sillymartin

Yes. The actual transfer of the file is, in a way, the least important part of the upgrade process.

To go from PIX 6.x to 7.x, you either need a support contract on the box, or you need to buy a one-time upgrade.

For most people, the support contract is economically much more efficient, in that you get the service as well as the upgrade for a price that is not much more than the one-time upgrade cost. There are, though, organizations which have strict policies that do not allow support contracts; and there are organizations where support is "operations" and one-time upgrades would be "capital" and those might be different budgets (possibly controlled by completely different departments); and there are organizations where the -relatively- small price difference between the two cases is too large to be funded (e.g. for cash flow reasons... or due to short-sighted management. After all, you can read the documentation, right? So why would you need a support contract?)

On the other hand, your PIX 6.1 software is sufficiently old that Cisco might tell you that you must purchase the 7.0 upgrade before they will consider you for support.

Please note that some of the features you might want to use in 7.0 require obtaining additional feature-keys; these are in addition to "Restricted" vs "Unrestricted".

formatting link
I suggest you scan through the upgrade guide,
formatting link
Also, that document indicates that you must be at least at 6.2 before the 7.0 upgrade. If I recall correctly, a few weeks ago, someone reported success on taking a PIX 4 system to 7.0 (with a few glitches along the way.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

let me be devils advocate here:

again, what happens, if I just install the new image without buying the upgrade or support contract? will the pix "phone home" magically and quit working?

so it seems you recomend a support contract?

wow, the customer has to be worthy to give cisco money?

formatting link

thanks, S

Reply to
sillymartin

No, the image would work, but as far as Cisco is concerned, you would have used the software without permission. If you are in the USA, then if I recall correctly, the selling cost of the PIX image (even after the maximum Cisco discount) exceeds the bounds set out in the US Federal Copyright Act, and as such using the image without permission would be a felony (not just a civil contract violation.)

Don't be like that. I am volunteering my time and skills here, and if you are going to get snarky about my phrasing, then I'm sure I could go away and find something else to do.

Cisco prices support contracts based upon assumptions about *limited* loss of sales of upgrade contracts, with the presumption that if you have relatively recent software then you either bought the device recently or else have been paying support recently. You, with your

6.1 software version, seem unlikely to have been paying support recently, since 6.1 was released more than 4 years ago. Cisco is not infinitely generous with its support contracts, especially since you can buy a support contract for even as little as 10 days.

I have dealt with a number of software companies whose support policy is that if you have allowed your support to lapse, then in order to obtain support or upgrades, you must either buy the software again or else pay all "back support" -- pay all the years you missed. Even then it wasn't uncommon for there to be a time limit such as 2 or 4 years beyond which they would not accept the back-support option.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Walter Roberson schrieb:

ok, I think i got it, thanks again.

ps:I just seem to have gotten the task to support all our pix customers (who _all_ seem to have old pixen, expired support etc) therefore i need to know how to convince them to spend some money on a (no doubt) great product.

cheers, S

Reply to
sillymartin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.