Cisco PIX 501 Firewall.

Hi All, I have recently purchased the above-mentioned Cisco PIX Firewall on Ebay, upgraded the Cisco PIX 501 Firewall OS to version

6.3(4) and the PIX Device Manager(PDM) to version 3.02. The firewall is working very nicely without a hitch. My question is after upgrading the Cisco PIX OS to a newer version and the PDM to a newer version, do I need to upgrade the activation keys on the device? All the previous license features of the device before the upgrade were maintained after the upgrade.

Thanks in advance, Benmark.

Reply to
benchmark
Loading thread data ...

No -- but you do need to "relicense" the device by purchasing Cisco part LL-PIX-501-SW-10=. Price is about $US190 to find one in stock; as low as $US150 if you peck around a little and are willing to back-order.

The PIX software license is seldom transferable, so while you bought the chassis, you very likely did not get the legal right to use the device, and especially not to upgrade the software.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
benchmark

Hi Benmark,

Adding to Walter's information:

All end customers who relicense software from Cisco for their used / grey market units ( i.e. eBay ) will be required to register the serial numbers for those units online.

Customers will not receive Digital License Agreement ( DLA ) numbers from Cisco until they register their units online with a valid serial number.

Cisco is taking an active role in curtailing the unauthorized use of grey market / used equipment without correct relicense agreements in place and rewarding customers for purchasing legitimate software relicenses for their units.

The following table lists all the Cisco embedded software relicense part numbers available for sale and their software relicense descriptions:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.