GRE question !

Hi,

My two sites (site A & site B)are connecting via GRE tunnel, all ip traffic is allowed on the GRE tunnel. Both routers perform nat for any outbound packet toward internet.

When a workstation in site A connect to site B, will these packet go directly via GRE tunnel to site B ? WIll site A router perform NAT before the packet leaving router A ? I assume all outbound packet will perform NAT before leaving the router, is it correct ? If the answer is yes, how do I bypass NAT process when site A workstation connect to site B ?

Reply to
yellow
Loading thread data ...

take a look

formatting link
Roman Nakhmanson

Reply to
nakhmanson

So if site A & site B routers formed a GRE tunnel interface, any traffic goes via the that tunnel interface will bypass NAT operation ?

Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com =BCg=B9D=A1G

Reply to
yellow

One more thing :

Both site routers are having NAT configured for local workstation connect to internet. My question is when there's a GRE tunnel interface configured, when site A workstation connects to site B, will NAT be performed ?

Ethernet 0 (LAN) ip address 200.200.200.0 255.255.255.0

Tunnel 0 xxx tunnel source aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa tunnel destination bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb (site B)

Loopback1 ip address 333.333.333.333

ip nat inside source list outbound interface Loopback1 overload

ip access-list outbound permit 200.200.200.0 0.0.0.255 any

yellow =BCg=B9D=A1G

Reply to
yellow

Well, it will depend partly on what you have defined as an inside interface and an outside interface for NAT, as well as your 'ip nat inside ...' command. For NAT to happen, the packet must traverse an inside/outside pair of interfaces. Might help if you posted a full config... but I assume your tunnel does not have an 'ip nat outside' statement? If you 'show ip nat statistics' it will give you a bit more info about the nat config. And of course you could always 'suck it and see' while debugging NAT to see what happens. :o)

Regards,

Al

Reply to
Al

I'll try to post the full configuration file although it's big.

Yes the tunnel interface does not has 'ip nat outside command', only the outside interface has set. So in this case, any traffic thru the tunnel interface won't perform NAT, correct ? If I put 'ip nat outside' statement in tunnel interface, it will perform NAT operation ? Al =BCg=B9D=A1G

Reply to
yellow

NAT happens when the intresting traffic matches some kind of creteria, on the interfaces you define with "ip nat outside" "ip nat inside".

Roman Nakhmanson

Reply to
nakhmanson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.