mysterous connection problem for PIX 501 Networking

hello

I got some strange problem. we have a network behind CISCO PIX 501 firwall. From time to time, there are two computers will be disconnected from internet. It happens everyday. when those two computers disconnected from internet, it can access other resources in LAN without any difficulties. later they will be granted access to internet automatically after an undetermined period of time, from half hour to several hours. The setting of the firewall is default except I did two port forwarding for webserver and remote access. I changed IP address but it doesn't always help. sometimes, after I changed IP, it is connected right away but most time nothing happens. We have about 12 computers in LAN and 1 network printer. all cable has been replaced and router/switches are working properly.

any suggestios or clue?

Thanks a lot!

Best, Charles

Reply to
signal
Loading thread data ...

Hi Charles,

Most likely your Cisco PIX 501 license allows only 10 concurrent users.

If you require more than 10 users to have access through the PIX 501 Firewall at one time, perform these steps:

1. Purchase a 50-user license upgrade. The part number is PIX-501-SW-10-50.

For a Price Quote call Reggie Grant Toll Free 877-549-2680 or

828-277-7272:

formatting link
You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Security Appliance Licensing:

formatting link

1. If you have already purchased a license, send an email to:

licensing at cisco.com

Include serial number, purchase information, PIX Firewall Software version and model and what needs to be added on the activation key.

To get the PIX serial number, PIX software version and PIX model number, issue the show version command.

A show version command also tells you what type of license the PIX Firewall is running, either R (restricted) or UR (unrestricted).

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

You're likely running into the 10 user limit like someone else mentioned already. Until you upgrade the license count, you can telnet into the PIX when this happens and run "clear xlate". This will clear the translation table. I used this as a temp fix on my office PIX.

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Thanks for Jonathan and Brad's advise. Yes, we have more than 10 computers connected to internet through this firewall. we will get more license to see what the situation will be. I will post update here later.

Thanks again.

Charles

Reply to
signal

hello Jonathan,

just a quick quetion, how to clear Xplate?

Thanks Charles

Reply to
signal

Charles,

This may be helpful:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Repair

formatting link

Reply to
BradReese.Com=A

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.