Cisco 837 Router

I have a Cisco 837 Router that is second hand and for the last 2 weeks I've been beating myself to death trying to comprehend how to setup this router. I have a Adsl line with a working SMC, I know all my settings to get the router to talk to the net etc, but as to how I actually get to talk to the thing I'm lost.

I have a console cable and regurlary take trips into the world of Cisco IOS or whatever its called. Typing in instructions as per Cisco site, manuals, pdf's and anything else I can find, but to get the thing to answer to 192.168.2.200, or even return a ping let alone connect to the net!

Help please someone. I'm looking for help in understanding where I've gone wrong. I have reset it several times, I'm fairly ok on getting around its menus, layers, but am damned if I can get a sucessfull result!

Anyone there help it will be much appriciated.

Wobble

Reply to
Wobble Wobble
Loading thread data ...

the first step is to get Ethernet interface and DHCP server working

So assuming an IP subnet of 192.168.1.0/24 the required config would be:

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1

ip dhcp pool CLIENT_DHCP_POOL import all network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 192.168.1.1

interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 no shut

Your PC should then be able to acquire an IP address via DHCP and you should be able to ping the router's IP address 192.168.1.1

Reply to
Merv

First off, thanks for the reply, about some things I know but this has me pulling out my hair as I'm afraid I have a little knowledge about not a lot on this subject.

Not yet I'm afraid.

First off a few ips are fixed in my network. SMC is 192.168.2.250 main pc is 192.168.2.25 Server 1 is 192.168.2.2 Server 2 is 192.168.2.3 ( home network for playing/ learning on)

I tried the setup as in your reply but didn't get a dhcp working, tried after a reboot of router and again same thing. I've deleted/ reset the router a few times,

What follows is from reboot of router and a running-config from the router, and I thought Microsoft IPSec was tough.

Wobble

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)YN, (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted################### [OK] TAC Support: http://w Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer: 23-127) platform with 49152 Kbytes of main memory Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.forth in subparagraph

program load c

cisco Systems, Inc., size: 0x5e428ccial Computer 170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, C

TAC Support:

formatting link
or disclosure by the Government is Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc. subject to restrictions as set forth in Compiled Thu 25-Sep-03 10:33 by ealyon (c) of the C Image text-base: 0x800131E8, data-base: 0x80B928E0

Rights c

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

formatting link
If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to snipped-for-privacy@cisco.com.

CISCO C837 (MPC857DSL) processor (revision 0x400) with 44237K/4915K bytes of mem ory. Processor board ID AMB08070N2N (63668408), with hardware revision 0000 CPU rev number 7 Bridging software.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 4 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 ATM network interface(s) 128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 10240K bytes of processor board System flash partition 1 (Read/Write) 2048K bytes of processor board System flash partition 2 (Read/Write) 2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

After a reboot this is what I see.

And this is from a Show running-config

show running-config Building configuration...

Current configuration : 920 bytes ! version 12.3 no service pad service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname Router ! ! no aaa new-model ip subnet-zero ! ! ip audit notify log ip audit po max-events 100 no ftp-server write-enable ! ! ! ! --More--  partition flash 2 10 2 ! ! ! ! interface Ethernet0 no ip address shutdown hold-queue 100 out ! interface ATM0 no ip address shutdown no atm ilmi-keepalive dsl operating-mode auto ! interface FastEthernet1 no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet2 --More--   no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet3 no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet4 no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! ip classless no ip http server no ip http secure-server ! ! line con 0 --More--   no modem enable line aux 0 line vty 0 4 ! scheduler max-task-time 5000 ! end

Router#

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

you might also want to try giving the Cisco SDM (web-based) config tools a spin - see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Bonjour,

Dans son message précédent, Merv a écrit :

I'm afraid that the SDM doesn't work with 827 series. (I got a 827)

Cisco SDM supports a wide range of Cisco IOS Software releases and is available free of charge on Cisco router models from Cisco 830 Series to Cisco 7301. It ships preinstalled on all new Cisco 850 Series, Cisco

870 Series, Cisco 1800 Series, Cisco 2800 Series, and Cisco 3800 Series integrated services routers.
Reply to
Alni

I've tried that once or twice as well!

I'll relate what I've done, maybe you can see a flaw in that and tell me where I'm wrong? Already found the Cat 5 cable has popped out and though I was cured!

I've done this

Erase Startup-config

Reload

and also the following

Step 1 If break is enabled, go to Step 2. If break is disabled, turn the router off ( O ), wait 5 seconds, and turn it on ( | ) again. Within 60 seconds, press the Break key. The terminal displays the ROM monitor prompt. Go to Step 3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note Some terminal keyboards have a key labeled Break. If your keyboard does not have a Break key, see the documentation that came with the terminal for instructions on how to send a break.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2 Press break. The terminal displays the following prompt:

rommon 2>

Step 3 Enter confreg 0x142 to reset the configuration register:

rommon 2> confreg 0x142

Step 4 Initialize the router by entering the reset command:

rommon 2> reset

The router cycles its power, and the configuration register is set to

0x142. The router uses the boot ROM system image, indicated by the system configuration dialog:

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Step 5 Enter no in response to the prompts until the following message is displayed:

Press RETURN to get started!

Step 6 Press Return. The following prompt appears:

Router>

Step 7 Enter the enable command to enter enable mode. Configuration changes can be made only in enable mode:

Router> enable

The prompt changes to the privileged EXEC prompt:

Router#

Step 8 Enter the show startup-config command to display an enable password in the configuration file:

Router# show startup-config

and used various settings from different Cisco manual pages in an effort to try and figure it out myself. Now I'm just at the point where I need help, but would to know why!

Thanks

Wobble

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

try the following and capture and post the output when you paste this config into your terminal session

conf t

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.10

ip dhcp pool POOL1 network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 192.168.2.250 exit

interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.2.250 255.255.255.0 no shut exit

int fa 1 no shut

int fa 2 no shut

int fa 3 no shut

int fa 4 no shut

end

wri mem

Reply to
Merv

I'd use some language that is a bit stronger than this group would allow, but by golly I've got a ping reply from my router!

Thanks, thank you a lot. you'll be the reason I can now have a warm head again. Of course not that I can talk to it, I'll break it again, but I'll copy out the config ( however I do that) and save ot on CD.

Again thanks, and if you wanna see how well I do on this expidition I'll keep posting!

Wobble

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

I even found, from previous research the commands to allow me to view the setup through the Web interface.

Thanks again.

Wobble Wobble

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

You will need:-

interface ATM0 no shutdown

to get the ADSL going.

Also you have the config register set to:-

0x142.

IIRC this causes the router NOT to read the saved configuration. The "startup-config". The normal use for your present seting is password recovery.

The default which works for most circumstances is 0x2102.

CORE1#conf t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. CORE1(config)#config-register 0x2102 CORE1(config)#end

formatting link
Has a fairly complete 837 config.

Reply to
anybody43

Is your connection to the Internet working now ?

Can you post your current working config ?

Reply to
Merv

! interface FastEthernet1 to abort.uplex autoern no ip address duplex auto speed autoely down ! interface FastEthernet247: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Int no ip addressanged state to duplex autoonds:terface speed autot4dialog? [ !s no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet4 no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! ip classless no ip http server no ip http secure-server ! ! line con 0 no modem enable line aux 0 line vty 0 4 ! scheduler max-task-time 5000 ! end

Router#

I have used write memory

to write data to NV ram

Internet not working yet, but at least I can talk to the router and play with it. I'll find out the rest of the info as I go. Best way to learn.

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

I would suggest:

1. get the ADSL link up next

1. then do NAT

2. then do FW (i.e. CBAC)
Reply to
Merv

I will be back and will let you know how I get on, but thanks for the help and the steer.

Also thanks to other people for their interest.

Quick question, whats FW? ( Cisco based access control?)

WW

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

Sorry - FW is the IOS firewall features - CBAC - inspect commands and inbound and outbound access lists

Reply to
Merv

well thats a whole new world, and what fun I will have, but for now a router routing to the internet is cool

its friday night and bed calls later

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

Merv, quick few questions, you cisco qualified? certified? if did it help? and was it difficulf?

WW

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

Shouldn't the router save its configuration when I use the command

Write memory

It seems to need the info if I reboot the router.

WW

Reply to
Wobble Wobble

The write memory or copy running-config startup-config saves the running-config to NVRAM so that it will be available should the router be reloaded or be powere cycled.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.