configure a Cisco 7940G - very hard - help!

hello,

where can I find an help for configure a Cisco 7940G ip phone?

I see the IP of the phone, Mac, Dhcp server.. but it's very hard understand...

I should use a service as sipgate.at or a iconnecthere.com

what to do? where ask help?

thanks

Reply to
tbo
Loading thread data ...

The Cisco phones are really designed to be hooked either into a Cisco CallManager using SCCP (by default), which manages all the phones remotely anyway, or you'll have to reflash it with the SIP image and setup all the config files needed on a DHCP server the proper way for the phone to get its real config.

If your phone is flashed for SIP, you probably could go through the on screen menus and probably plunk along enough, but doing the DHCP server route is far easier.

Google for "Asterisk Cisco 7960" and you should probably find lots of pages detailing what needs to be done specificly for Asterisk, but it'll get you 99% of the way for what you need to do as well.

The 2nd entry over to the voip-info.org WIKI should help considerably.

They aren't designed to be configed singularly onscreen, but to be massively deployed through automated tools.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thank you I need to use the iconnecthere.com so you are saying that I will have with this provider a tool that will configure remotely my cisco ip phone? I mean some tool that see my Cisco ip phone, mac address, ip etc.. and is able to stay connected with it and let me call and receive? something similar?

Becouse, I cannot edit nothing on the screen of the Cisco ... I digited the IP of my Ip Phone and I get sometimes yes and sometimes not a page that tell me the status of the phone, a cisco stats page of my ip phone, there nothing can be edited to.

If I go in the menu of the Cisco, in Network Configuration, there nothing is editable. If I go to PLAY the ring that is selected, I cannot test it too .. nothing and nothing.

I really don't believe that is via iconnecthere.com that I will have a tool for manage remotely my Cisco Ip phone.

I'm saying that I just connected my 2 Cisco Ip phones to my router (netgear

834G) and I see the DHCP ip, ip phone ip, mac, router ip, all ok .. but nothing else.. I cannot do nothing.

And if I wanted to use a SIP provider similar to sipgate.co.uk? I really don't understand how to configure .. becouse nothing is editable...

I tried to go to the IP of "callmanager" hoping that was some page with a tool for configure the phone... but nothing...

I'm really sad.

I will take a look in google.. my it's very hard, very delused of Cisco at the moment, I hope I will understand soon .. how to do it.

bye

Reply to
tbo

"tbo" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

if can help:

I go in "network statistics" and I see the text "Port 1 Full, 100 port 2 down"

of course I still not using any voip provider, but I wouldn't that I need to do something with the router.

I have seen thatin the Iconnecthere website for the grandstream is required to see in the router if the port 5070 or similar number is configured properly.

I disabled the firewall however.

Reply to
tbo

oh my god, seem that the Cisco IP phone 7940G should be converted to SIP and it's very hard to do ... I should registed in Cisco website etc etc are hours of problems, is better if I sold all and I but a grandstream then, I see a lot of problems here. Seem too hard for me.

Reply to
tbo

what I should do? is able this Cisco 7940 to connect automatically to the iconnethere.com voip or I should convert the cisco in SIP ?

I'm registered now in Cisco website.

Reply to
tbo

iconnecthere.com only talks SIP, so yes, you would need to first get the SIP image for the 7940 phone, and flash it up from a TFTP server to get the new image on it. Note: Cisco only gives out code updates to service contract holders, so you'll probably have to get somebody to get the SIP code for you if its not already running SIP (ie. does it say SIP up in the upper right hand corner of the display?).

I haven't tried to connect this phone directly with iconnecthere.com, but have through Asterisk, so I don't think it would be too difficult if you got all the correct parameters into the SIP phone to start with, but you do need it to be running SIP.

Reading the voip-info.org WIKI and the examples they give, and the sites they link to should give you an idea of what you'll need to do.

But you mentioned about iconnecthere.com which is a VOIP provider?

The only thing to do with the router might be to setup some QoS profiles if your router even supports such a thing? But that doesn't matter at first, it can work perfectly fine without any QoS.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.