Cisco IP phone 7960G

Hi, I have 7960G with P0S3-07-5-00 firmware. I can not get to menu because I get "Protocol Application Invalid" When I track down communication with Ethereal I see that IP phone is sending requests from 255.255.255.255 IP address which is strange. If I reset the phone ( * + 6 + Settings ) it does not reset the IP address. Is there any factory default reset? Hopefully my phone didn't become a brick.

Additionally I found this in Cisco Bug Tool My problem(bug) is probably below, but I didn't input the

255.255.255.255 there but looks like the same behavior.

------------------------------------------------ bug CSCeg55180

Symptom : On a Cisco 7960 Phone, the IP Address of the phone may be manually configured with certain illegal values. These values include the following ranges:

127.0.0.0 through 127.255.255.255 - the IP Loopback address 224.0.0.0 through 255.255.255.255 - Multicast and Class E Address range

Conditions: DHCP is disabled, and address is entered via the IP Address item on Network Settings menu.

Workaround: None.

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you for any ideas. Lada

Reply to
Ladaan
Loading thread data ...

I found the same problem at the topic "Cisco IP Phone 7960 broken?"

I installed the packet sniffer 'Ethereal' and it proved that the phone still seems to be breathing. It sends out three times CDP/VDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol), followed by an ARP request for IP address

192.162.100.100, getting the correct response (MAC address) from the CallManager's PC. After that it tries four times a TFTP Read Request for file OS79XX.TXT, followed by some more TFTP requests. What puzzles me is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any requests for DHCP by the phone (possibly because there was a static IP setting before it died). So the sniffer reports 255.255.255.255 (same as the mask) for all phone requests.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Reply to
Ladaan

Thanks for answers :) I found the answer on my own already.

I just needed reset the phone and it is done this way:

You can perform a factory reset of the 7940/7960 by holding down "#" as it powers up (or resets), at which point you then dial 123456789*0#. This is useful for many types of recovery.

Anyway, my problem is solved. :) Note: too many cisco documents and this information is not them.

Lada

Reply to
Ladaan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.